Archinect
anchor

Your Definition of Mat Architecture

cmdace18

Whats your take on this topic? Example of a project is Corbu's Venice Hospital...

Oct 24, 05 3:25 pm
el jeffe

is this class assignment being used again?

Oct 24, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP
A multilayered infrastructural sheet, or mat building, covers the entire site, multiplying the urban ground

from here

Oct 24, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
cmdace18

I have a group discussion tomorrow with my class, I am leading the discussion .. I have my own opinions, and personal pursadance and am bringing up issues, just thought about what other ppl thought?

examples that I am using are creation of environment vs. the response to the environment

as well as functions and events configuring space vs. space configuring functions and space

Oct 24, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP
EXPLORING THE POTENTIAL OF MAT-BUILDING FOR THE CREATION OF UNIVERSALLY DESIGNED ENVIRONMENTS
EREN, Yasemin
M. Arch., Department of Architecture
Supervisor: Assoc.Prof. Emel Aközer
Co-Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Halime Demirkan
June 2004, 152 pages

The goal of this study is to reread the strategies of formal organization in architecture, which are called “mat-building” and “mat-urbanism”, exploring their potential to contribute to the creation of universally designed built environments in the 21st century. The idea of mat-building was first delineated by Alison Smithson in 1974, in her article “How to Recognize and Read Mat-Building,” by means of its traditional and modern examples. The concept of universal design was first used in 1970’s and reinterpreted by the American architect Ronald Mace in 1985. Since then, it has become a widely accepted design approach that is also known as ‘inclusive design’ and ‘design for all’. Mat-building can be considered as a viable design approach that can respond to the crucial need for equally accessible, adjustable and adaptable built environments for all people all over the world. The study aims not only to evaluate the exemplary mat like configurations in light of the universal design principles. It also tries to point to the new ways for developing creative ideas and design theories, and emphasizes the significance of implementing the universal design approach in contemporary architecture and urbanism.

from [http://www.archweb.metu.edu.tr/research/abstracts.htm]here[/url]

Oct 24, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Please see the work of Candilis Josic and Woods. They were all students of Corb. They have one great book (1968) of most of their work available at any good university architecture library. No reprints as far as I know, so don't bother with Amazon.

The Free University in Berlin is only a very small part of who they were.

Oct 24, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: