Archinect
anchor

Model supply stores online?

moratto

Is there such a thing? I have googled for an hour and came up with crap.
Anyways I want to render a metal mesh material in a physical model (probably 1/8"=1') and my only local option is the cheap screen door crap at Lowe's. Any ideas?
I was on a tour of Allied Works office two weeks ago and saw the model of the St. Louis Museum (forgot the actual title) and they used a perfect mesh for their scale. Does anybody work there that could give me information on where they obtained that?

Oct 24, 05 1:49 pm
AP

Tuten and Koch, a supply store in Copenhagen...only place I ever found well-scaled metal mesh / screen. Wish I had bought more...

Oct 24, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

don't know where you're at... if in LA, go to SCIArc's store.

Oct 24, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

try model train supply houses, I've found that they have a lot of stuff, but it's rarely labeled as what I want to use it for. Think of it as adaptive reuse.

Oct 24, 05 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

For the perfect mesh, draw it and find a lasercutter at your nearest well supplied architecture school and make some friends. In the US, most model shops (airplanes, RC cars, etc...) normally carry a good selection of metal meshes in the sections near structural shapes. I don't remember the manufacturer, sorry.

Oct 24, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
general acres
Plastruct
Oct 24, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I'm in Oklahoma currently, so there is no possible way to get to SCI-ARC. Also in Oklahoma laser cutters are too high tech for us but I believe we are a little better than Plastruct.
Somebody should open up an architectural model supply shop online, I would be spending the cheddar.

Oct 25, 05 12:39 am  · 
 · 
adso

A good source for models is Micro-Mark. They are mostly a seller of tools, but you might be able to dig around in there and find something.

Oct 26, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: