Archinect
anchor

geektime: Nvidia vs. ATI

bigness

i hope someone out there can help!

i just bought an ati sapphire 9600xt card, i work heavily on rhino for 3d. i find that, apart from the fact that certain models are causing flamingo to crash, the ATI card seems to have a problem handling open gl realtime rendering.

i have noticed that in the openGL settings in rhino, by default it is set on doftware accelleration, and tells me that the hardware accelleration is EXPERIMENTAL, because is not support by my current driver and selecting this option might cause crashes.

could that be because of the ATI chipset? should i switch to an nvidia (think GF 6600GT)?

does anyone know of a good forum where i can find info's?

thank you very much!

Oct 23, 05 7:55 pm
manamana

it sounds like you've got a driver issue. try getting the latest driver from ati, and run a driver cleaner before installing the new driver. if this card replaced an older card, you might be getting conflicts with the old card's drivers and registry settings.

if that doesn't work, you might want to post this on the rhino newsgroup in order to get the opinions of other users and developers.

while nvidia cards usually have higher performance with OGL, instabilities shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's an ati...

Oct 23, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I actually contacted Bob McNeel with Rhino questions. Rhino is 'dumb'. Unlike 3ds Max or Maya which are designed for highend machines, Rhino is an 'anyman's' program. It's requirements are very low, making it so popular. Off course the better your computer, the better it runs, but it can run on most anything.

Go ahead and use the hardware acceleration. Rhino always defaults to software accelleration. It only speeds up the rotation, scaling etc while you are modeling. Rendering is 100% CPU and RAM dependent in both Rhino and Flamingo.

I have an ATI 9600 in my laptop and have had no problems with the experimental drivers in Rhino/Flamingo. I have a Quadro 1100FX in my desktop and likewise have no issues.

Oct 23, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

thanks folks, very useful!
any suggestions for a good driver cleaner?
coming from macs, this stuff is new to me (you know, stuff on macs usually just...works).

thanks again!

Oct 24, 05 7:25 am  · 
 · 
bigness

ok, now i have downloaded the most recent rivers, uninstalled the old ones, restarted the machine after being prompted to do so by the uninstaller, went thru to window xp pro screenshot and...blank! black screen!

uaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!

anywaym thanks for the help!

Oct 24, 05 8:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: