Archinect
anchor

Circuit bending, and other hobbies...

garpike

What are your hobbies? (yet another tentacle, cellardoor whore)

Oct 23, 05 6:54 pm
ryanj

yes, damn us for having interests outside of the architectural/design realm...

anything active/outdoors to counteract the physical detriment of the 8-5, or more accurately 730-7,or 8...but thats another thread

Oct 23, 05 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Outdoors? What's that?

I have to admit I have been a really bad fan of my hobbies lately. But here's what interests me:
-mountain biking
-snowboarding
-home recording
-playing music live
-tinkering with guitars

Oct 23, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

- surfing
- snowboarding
- playing guitar and bass, live and recorded
- cooking
- backpacking (national park not european)

Oct 23, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

basketball
running
camping/hiking
boating/fishing
photography
playing the trombone (its been a while though)

...anyone been skydiving?

Oct 23, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have not. Can architects afford it? Ha ha just kidding. Too oft the topic here.

Oct 24, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

circuit bending, actually

Oct 24, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool. What have you bent? I am yet to make a run to the thrift store to buy some toys to try out this interesting hobby/art.

A friend of a friend has made some pretty cool stuff. Check it out:

His name is [url=http://www.blankstare.biz]Jeff[url]

Oct 24, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

His name is Jeff

(I hang my head...)

Oct 24, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i work part time in NYC Peep Show booths with a mop, does that count?

Oct 24, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

archinect

Oct 25, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

In other words incest?

Oct 25, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Kinda sad, but all my hobbies/interest are all design-orientated. I try to get into new things, but I always end up getting caught back up in design stuff.

Oct 25, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I know what you mean, Pixel. I feel the urge to design new parts for my guitars or new guitars altogether. I don't want to ride bikes. I want to design them. I don't want to drink coffee. I want to design the mug! Oh wait... I do want to drink coffee.

What design hobbies have you, Pixel?

Oct 25, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Furniture/fabrication.
Graphic design.
Hoping to get into video production/composition type stuff now that I've been given a camera (non digital, but free none the less).
Also trying to fenangle (sic?) a free sewing machine so I can start playing around with fabric as a medium.

And I'm not complaining, I love doing what I do. Its along the lines of a sick obsession I guess. However, a change would be nice from time to time, so I try something new, but I always end up getting pulled back into something that has a design aspect to it.

Oct 25, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool!

As far as getting a free sewing machine, have you tried craigslist want ads or freecycle.org? I just learned of freecycle.org, and it seems like it could be could be useful.

I have a rather old Handycam collecting dust. I do everything on the computer, so it is hard to find a use for it.

Oct 25, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Just checked out your Myspace site, Pixel. Got any higher res images of that chair?

Oct 25, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

My mother has an older Husqvarna Viking machine that is really good and she doesn't use.

As far as editing, since the camera was free I'll end up buying a Analog to Video converter box. Just need to save up the money for it. With my current finances, anything that costs money isn't a priority right now.

Oct 25, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

I have some at home, I'm working late this evening, but I can send you some later.

Oct 25, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I hear you! I keep re-writing my budget. The "spending" and "food" column keep shrinking. I should add spending is not for entertainment.

Oct 25, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool, thanks.

Oct 25, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: