Archinect
anchor

the three biggest buildings in the world

Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

ok, this is without researching, but here are three contenders:

communism

capitalism

the military/industrial complex

Surely there's bigger. How big is the Mall of America?

Oct 20, 05 8:13 pm
upside

i cant think of three more deligtful examples of human civilisation.

Oct 20, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

The Mall of America is probably big but those seem to take the prize in terms of sheer volume. That's wild though, they are even bigger than skyscrapers? I mean, volume-wise?

Oct 21, 05 8:24 am  · 
 · 
A

The Mall of America is just over 4 million sq ft. The West Edmonton Mall in Canada is just over 5 million sq ft. Both are mostrosities of retailing and suburbia but just in terms of raw floor area they aren't that huge. The Sears tower in Chicago is 4.5 million sq ft.

Oct 21, 05 8:48 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

How does the boeing plant rate?
Don't they often bill themselves as having the largest building in the world or some other such designation.

Oct 21, 05 9:08 am  · 
 · 
NSJ

The Boeing plant in Everett has an interior volume of about 470 million cubic feet. Not sure what that translates to in square footage but for the Sears Tower to have that much volume it would have to have over 100 foot floor heights.
It looks like the Pentagon has 77 million cubic feet still not even close to Boeing, though I think I read somewhere that it has that most square footage.

Oct 21, 05 9:20 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

NSJ, you're quite the statistician. Quick, what's the volume of the Merchandise Mart!?! What's the square root of that?!?

:o)

Oct 21, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
Wiki's "Worlds Largest Buildings"
Oct 21, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

They're going to kill me for hotlinking their image.

Oct 21, 05 11:58 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

and seems like the pentagon is at 3.8 net, but 6.5 mill gross. a 170% grossing factor??? ... and i don't think we're supposed to know why.

Oct 21, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Oh yeah, I've always been pretty good at math.

Oct 21, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

There is a building on I-80 just north of the Quad Cities (iowa/illinois) that seemed really big from the road. It defied my attempts at scaling it on my first few drive bys.
I've done a little google earth research and it appears to be about 3/4 the size of the boeing building if it were essentially square in plan, but it is more of an L shape and you see the two large faces from the road, inflating it's perceived size.
GOOGLE EARTH
N41`36'9"
W90`33'12"

i believe it's a John Deere tractor factory.

Oct 21, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
the building with the largest interior volume
Oct 21, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: