Archinect
anchor

NYC Priority List

ryanj

Im going to the Big Apple in January for a graduation present, but will only have about five full days there. Ive begun to put together a short list of 'must sees'...

Freedom Tower site/memorial
Central Park
MOMA
Gugenheim
Rockefeller
Chrysler Building
Seagrams

what are your suggestions?

Oct 20, 05 2:18 pm
Ms Beary

Brooklyn Bridge
Staten Island Ferry (free, to see NY from the water, see statue of liberty without taking whole day)

Oct 20, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Prada [on Broadway]
Chinatown
Richard Meier's Towers [ehhh maybe not]
Shop's projects
LTL's coffee / bake / sushi restaraunts
Williamsburg, Brooklyn - first stop in BK on the "L" train
Central Park
Foster's new building [I mean, why not?]
Strand books [12th and broadway]

Oct 20, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Wear good shoes and do some urban hiking
Also: Soho cast iron facades, gallerys
Grand Central Station

Oct 20, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

museum of natural history with the rose center in back

lever house (right across from seagram)

carnegie hall

carnegie deli

Oct 20, 05 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

oh and is sammy's roumanian still there?

ate there in 2000

i'm a connoisseur of fatty eastern-european ethnic food

they had schmaltz in pitchers supposedly although there wasn't one on my table and i was too afraid to ask

Oct 20, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
AP

American Folk Art Museum, Williams and Tsein

near MoMA

Oct 20, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Broadway play

Oct 20, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

the dior building near trump tower.
and prada is sweet @ prince and b'way.

Oct 20, 05 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Austrian Cultural Center by Abraham, right by (a block or two, don't recall) from the Dior building, Lever House, and Seagrams.

Oct 20, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i like to pop into the earth room every now and then...but maybe that's just because i have a dirty mind

i'd also suggest that if you are going to hit the big museums (moma, guggenheim, etc) then do it on a weekday since, in my opinion at least, they tend to be overcrowded with tourists on the weekends.

Oct 20, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

If you're around on a sunday night, the upright citizens brigade theater does some awesome improv comedy with a show called assscat. Some of the people from the SNL cast are regular performers there. I've been told since I left the states that its got a tv show now or something? But if they're still doing the sunday night show this was one of my favorite things to do in New York. And if you wait in line for a half hour or so you can get into the later show for free. I'm pretty sure it's on 26th and 8th but google it and check.

And go see some live music. I used to like to go to the knitting factory. You can pay 8 dollars to get into the basement venue and see three or four random sets from whoever's around that night. Awesome energy in a tight space. It's off of broadway down by china town.

Also go check out what they're doing with the highline in Chelsea. Converting a section of the old elevated rail line into a public park.

Oct 20, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I always loved how cool and silent ACE Gallery feels inside - an enormous amount of empty space relative to how noisy and crowded outside is.

Isamu Noguchi Museum (in Brooklyn?) was beautiful and has since been renovated/improved, probably even better now.

Wear shoes you can walk in aaaaaallllll day.

Oct 20, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

noguchi is long island city and is great!

Oct 20, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
user09

prada: On prince and broadway

Oct 20, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
user09

oh yeah ps1 if its still up(long island city)...(oh and smoke first)

Oct 20, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

go to Cooper Union and try to sneak into a studio...

Oct 20, 05 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The MET! And the Frick Collection, but only if you have time.

Oct 20, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

coney island

Oct 21, 05 11:22 am  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

Toys 'r' Us in Times Square, Bryant Park, Nintendo World at Rockefellar Center, Baja Fresh (I know there is one SOMEWHERE in that damn city, and I will find it someday!)

Oct 21, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

The Cloisters - http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/introduction.asp?dep=7

Dia Beacon - www.diabeacon.org
trains leave from grand central

Oct 21, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
patchwork

PS1, MoMA, The Whintey, The Met, Waterfront, walk across the Bklyn Bridge, wander the streets of red hook, Greenpiont/Williamsburg and DUMBO (and eat at Patsy's pizza), go to the top of the Empire State Bldg (worth the 10bux) and take a nap in the park (if its a nice day).

Oct 21, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
patchwork

oh, and go to the Strand, for sure. And Pearl Paint.

Oct 21, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

"Wander the streets of Red Hook" That's one I've never heard. After that, go hang out in Maspeth. Breakers in Union Sq. on Fri and/or Sat. night.

Oct 21, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Oh ... I was just joking about Maspeth.

Oct 21, 05 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
surface

ochona - sammy's roumanian is still there.

Oct 22, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Yippee!

find where there are a bunch of rollerskater tricksters skating to some disco in Central Park. Watch. Learn. Imitate.

Oct 22, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that's around the corner from the Bowery Ballroom right?

Oct 22, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I think so. It's right around there.. Chrystie St. I think. maybe Forsyth.

Oct 22, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

go to cooper union and ill give you a tour of the studio and an earfull

Oct 22, 05 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

and the cooper hewitt extreme textiles exhibit, and i think egon sheile has an exhibit which is coming up soon

Oct 22, 05 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
o+

must eateries:

diller + scofidio's Brasserie
100 E 53rd St : (do lunch, it's cheaper than dinner)

Markt
401 W 14th St At 9th Ave : (a little pricy, but a perfect spot for a late belgian dinner after trendy drinks at the room and the apartment)

*best steak ever*
michael jordans steakhouse in grand central (the filet mignon is the best i've ever had anywhere, although pricey) grand central isn't too shabby either.

and so many others....

Oct 23, 05 2:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: