Archinect
anchor

Cool Website

P.B.

I'm currently working on a big High School project (2200 x kids 12-18y) and part of the new school is a website. They are currently putting together a new website and what they have showed us is a typical boring and badly made Corporate style website.... This new school is going to be the flagship of academies here in the UK and I think the website should be a very good one... We complained about it they asked us to show some good examples of academic websites, or just plain good website in general. So if anyone knows an interesting website please post it... The School speciality will be Science and Math, something that should be clear when you visit the website....

Oct 20, 05 4:19 am
manamana

just don't show them any full flash sites... the novelty of blinking flash crap wore off about 2 years ago, but for some reason architects are still attracted to it.

most US universities are at least on the right track.

Oct 20, 05 4:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I disagree about the Flash, just don't show them any bad ones.

Flash is a great tool and getting more powerful with each release. It has the data capabilities to handle just about everything as well. The blinking capabilities are about the equal of making a primitive move in Max, but much easier (and that's why you saw/see it everywhere, not many actually learn the program....hmmm, reminds me of blobs and Maya for some reason!).

That said, I would guess that a hybrid would be best.

Look at www.favoritewebsitewardsc.com for good flash sites. www.netdiver.net is a good resource for sites in general. I couldn't find school specific sites on either, though. Not surprising, as I've not yet come across a school site that I liked.

Go post the question at www.newstoday.com , that'll be your best resource for websites.

Oct 20, 05 8:48 am  · 
 · 
AP

it might be a good idea to surf the links section of archinect? wish I had a specific example to lead you to...

Oct 20, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My friend's website, Digitally Branded is good. It was actually published in a European design magazine last spring. It's not an academic site, but it might give you some ideas, show you what can be done beyond blinking with Flash.

Oct 20, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
manamana

the real problem I have with full flash sites is that they break alot of web cardinal rules (i.e. the forward and back buttons on your browser). most of them also create problems for tabbed browsers, which are becoming more popular.

to me, a full flash site just doesn't look professional anymore. even the best full flash site is more childish and anoying than mediocre css/html design.

some embedded flash is ok, but when the site is fully flash it looks like you're not even trying.

Oct 20, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree with trace regarding flash. sure there are some bad ones out there, but there are a lot of unprofessional html sites out there too. just because it is built in flash doesn't mean it is all bells and whistle. a little bit of restraint and focus goes a long way. there are pros and cons to each side.

Oct 20, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: