Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to open a 3DS MAX 7 file in 3DS MAX 6?

bRink

Is there a way to open a 3d model built in MAX 7 in MAX 6? I'm reluctant to export to autocad because I spent alot of time setting materials and lights... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 19, 05 10:19 pm
dia

Can you resave your MAX 7 file as an earlier version?

Oct 19, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I don't believe there is a clean way to do it (you can export as a 3ds or dwg and re-import).

Nice, eh?

I do think you can open a 7.5 in 7, though, but that's it. There was a script that did it for v5 to v4, I think, but doubt it'll work for 7-6. Gotta love how they've 'forced' upgrades like this. It stinks, imho, and if there's a reason to switch to another software, this would be at the top of the list (especially if you are upgrading more than one machine).

Oct 19, 05 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

yeah... that sucks...

I searched the help for "save" and it said the same thing... well you can open a max 6 file in 7, and then it will prompt you on whether you want to update your file to 7, and you can decline... if you accept it makes your file no longer openable in 6...

Oct 20, 05 2:44 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, it's stupid. I think Max will lose market share if they don't address some of these concerns soon. Not a problem for Hollywood or the games industry, where an entire firm will upgrade at once, but for things like architecture/arch viz, there's no need to upgrade all the time.
Not to mention, the features in the newer Max versions haven't been incredible, imo, unless you use a lot of the heavy features.

Be careful about that autosave, it can easily screw up your older file if you need to keep it. I've done that more than once - open somewhere with a newer version and forget to immediately resave with a new name.

Oct 20, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 
doberman

I think they do it on purpose to force people to upgrade every time a new release comes out. That's really annoying.

Oct 20, 05 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: