Archinect
anchor

Any suggestions on what to do?

I035PEP

I am a recent graduate looking for my first real job in architecture. I've interned for three years so it's not completely new to me. I am trying to decide between two major cities. In the responses from the firms I've interviewed with, they all want me to decide which city I am moving to first, then they will provide me with an offer. I would prefer to have an offer before deciding which city to move to. I know that it is a lot of work for the people hiring, but I don't want to move to a city without knowing what type of compensation I would be getting. Any suggestions?

Oct 17, 05 3:02 pm
rtdc

Tell all the firms you are moving to their city. Once you have all of their offers, make a decision. They will not know whether you went to a different firm or a different city.

Oct 17, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Many firms don't want the responsibility (imagined or otherwise) of relocating someone. Some are likely considering the potential cost of moving you there (if that's likely part of the package), but more often, I think it's the unspoken concern about what happens if things don't work out shortly after you've moved there (for them).
If you are willing to go, I agree with reed - tell them you're heading there.

Oct 17, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

in my experience you will need to commit prior to being offered a job. i often heard 'call us when you get here.' reed's advice might get you an answer though.

Oct 17, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

reedtimothy is RIGHT

Oct 17, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

most firms in the situation you describe ask the question because they want you to start like in ten minutes

so you may be asked "when will you be moving to [insert city name here]?"

btw, which two cities?

Oct 17, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

Chicago & Denver

Oct 18, 05 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: