Kid Robot

JohnProlly

Who elese buys this vinyl?

Oct 17, 05 1:26 pm
chupacabra

i just get freebies from the designers

Oct 17, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

I love Kid Robot's stuff, but haven't bought anything due to lack of disposable income (tattoos will come before superdeformed action figures). I have noticed that the local Newbury Comics is starting to carry similar products lately.

Oct 17, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I have series 2 of the Dunnies after buying many blind boxes and selling the doubles on ebay and I managed to pick up the Delta Capsule toys last year. www.deltainc.nl

If I were like 14, that store would be quite the addiction.

Oct 17, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i stop by the shop in santa monica on the promenade from time to time. but never have i bought anything...

Oct 17, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
JG

I am surprised this "ghetto-japanimation-skateboard-chic-isn't it oh so ironic" store has lasted this long.

Oct 17, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

The formula is simple:

-Grafitti and street artists are becoming recognized.
-This is a way that you can buy some of their work for under 10 bucks.
-It's all about "newness"
-Attention to detail, packaging, ect.

I appreciate it because of these reasons.

Oct 18, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Its all about Dalek's Space Monkeys...

Oct 18, 05 10:28 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Not just street artists...many poster artists as well...Kozik, AA, Ferg, etc.

Oct 18, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Its the whole cross of street and graphic arts. People that first got into art by throwing up taggs and doing stencils ended up getting into graphic design, and (to a lesser extent) the other way around. Stylistically its about bringing a sense of "street cred" to what can be a very stagnant. formalistic design field. The mix of the two has resulted in very beautiful juxtoposition. I think an interesting example of how this approach has developed is that Shepard Fairly just did the movie poster for the upcoming Johnny Cash movie Walk the Line. Thats coming a long way from "Andre the Giant has a posse" stickers.

Oct 18, 05 10:41 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

The Kozik Hate 3" and Deph Dunnies are pretty titty too.

Oct 18, 05 11:25 am  · 
 · 
cp

my 3 year old girl has got a pretty serious dunny collection going, and some dalek silkscreens too. its pretty cool that she can collect art!

Oct 18, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

they have the gorrilaz too...

Oct 19, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
surface

I guess.. i just.. I don't find this stuff very aesthetically appealing or attractive.
To me.

*hide*

Oct 19, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Hehe - I mean it's really nerdy. I have my dual moniters hooked up to my powerbook [usually playing something click hoppy] and an army of Dunnies perched upon them. A true nerd work area. My roomate walked into my studio and was like "woah, that the hell are those?!?!??!" - the next week, she was out buying them too.

Oct 19, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
surface

Yeah.. my BF is into them.. but then again he also has a photo of Cathulu on the computer desktop.. eeeieieo.

I do like This creature.

Oct 19, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Am I the only one who thought on first glance this thread was related to the the short lived 1980's television sitcom "Small Wonder"?

Oct 19, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

hahaha - I remember that.

Oct 19, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Oct 19, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: