Archinect
anchor

super duper supermarket

kazbot

swf seeks sexy, thoughtful grocery store precedent. parking a plus.

any 'off the top of my head' thoughts? im trying to get past brian healys lincoln street garage (asian grocery below) and zapatas miami beach publix, but without much luck.
i apologize for the 'please help me with my project' theme.

am i searching in vain, or is it really slim pickings as far as hottie supermarkets go?

Oct 16, 05 6:06 pm
Hasselhoff

Wood and Zapata built the Fresh Grocer in Philly. Has a parking deck. What it really comes down to though is a concrete parking garage with metal glued on the outside in a more-pleasing-than-concrete skin. Grocery store is full of food and disgruntled employees. Not that much of a hottie, but it was in the Record, so you could probably get info. I guess it's nicer than your average SuperFresh though. Kind of OK.

Oct 16, 05 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Off the top of my head, have a look at this supermarket by Njiric Njiric. Dont seem to be a lot of online resources for these guys, but there is an el croquis. Its a nice building. They have also done some McDonald restaurants.

Oct 16, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

no supermarkets come tomind but you might have more luck with department stores, a convenient kissing cousin with (usually) at least a bit of the ol grocery store tucked in somewhere.

selfridges stores by ito and future systems come to mind, but maybe too tangential for ya...

Oct 17, 05 2:30 am  · 
 · 
AP

I have pre-chastised myself for this...but, nevertheless,

a recent-ish issue of record had an article on big-boxers that did something different. Not all were grocers, but nevertheless, it was an interesting read...The usual suspects, Home Depot, Target etc.

Oct 17, 05 11:05 am  · 
 · 
a-f
The Unit

(Austria)

Oct 17, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
kazbot

omigod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a-f, thank you!! you cant imagine how long ive been google-ing these guys without much luck. i saw a really nice little pic of one of their merkurs in an issue of detail and was totally inticed. but without any elaboration.
thanks to everybody else too!

you would think, as they are used so heavily, practially pre-programmed, and have all sorts of interesting signage issues, some more designers would go for projects like groceries . . .

Oct 17, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
a-f

you're welcome!

Oct 18, 05 3:04 am  · 
 · 

there is also lewis tsurumaki lewis's new suburbanism project...which has houses built on top of a big box...

link

Oct 18, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

greenberg farrow did a lot of the big box stuff that was in architectural record a few months ago...link

also there is a grocery store at museumplein in amsterdam...the store is underground (along with the garage)...entry is from streetlevel underneath an inclined grass roof which is part of the adjacent park...
link

Oct 18, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: