Archinect
anchor

The Used Bookstore.

vado retro

Just hit the used bookstore and found some fine hardback copies of Madame Bovary, The Big Sleep and The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini. A strange mix.

Oct 15, 05 1:44 pm
museumpeice?
Oct 15, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i just got a creepy idea for archinect users to have feedback ratings....

Oct 15, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Whould that be "Vote for me and I'll set you free!" or "Anything for a buck?"

Oct 15, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've recently cleaned out the local used bookstore of all TC Boyle novels.

I my "book" everyone appearing thus far on this thread would rate a 10. Out of 10.

Oct 15, 05 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

ditto lb.

Oct 15, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

i loved boyle's 'road to wellville'. not as excited about the movie.

but the book is, like 'glass bead game', 'name of the rose', 'magic mountain', 'animal farm', and others, a look at what happens among the people in an isolated environment when they start to really generate their own distinct community. what foucault called 'heterotopia' but much easier to grasp in the form of a novel than in reading foucault.

Oct 16, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Agreed, Steven, on Road to Wellville's example of community behavior veering toward cultishness - and scarily it reminded me sooo much of being at Cranbrook! He covered similar themes in the Alaska one, called, ummmmm...Drop City, that's it. I didn't realize Wellville was becoming a major motion picture!

Tortilla Curtain is still my favorite TC Byle, but I've got a few to go.

Still all 10s, here.

Oct 16, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

oh, actually wellville was a movie back in the early 90s. matthew broderick, anthony hopkins, bridget fonda, john cusack, dana carvey, lara flynn boyle. not as good as it should have been...

Oct 16, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: