Archinect
anchor

Working with styrene

user09

Does anyone know how to bend/curve/ mold styrene with out it snapping? or are there any ideas as to a material that I should use to make a really slick model out of( I want to model seemless transitions like floor-to wall-to ceiling etc.)

Oct 15, 05 12:35 am
el jeffe

jigs and gentle heat.

Oct 15, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
user09

jigs?

Oct 15, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
montaigne

creating curves with styrene is best done with a hot wire. However, it can be quite easy to make mistakes. Alternatively you can use a saw or cerrated knife to approximate your curve and then hone it with sandpaper, which works quickly and can create a surprsingly smooth finish.

Oct 15, 05 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
montaigne

Impossible to bend much.

Oct 15, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
joed

it's not impossible to bend much. hold a blowdryer up to a piece of the stuff for a minute, then try bending it. jigs = formwork so that your bend will be accurate. good luck.

Oct 15, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
huh

using bondo as a fill on styrene is great for creating smooth transitions at the corners. but don't use the pink stuff that you buy at auto parts shops because it's a pain in the ass to paint. i found some white bondo through a local modelmaker.

Oct 15, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
joek

it all depends on exactly what you are doing of course, but in the past I have broken the interior into sections and made wooden models of these sections then vacuum formed them with a thin plastic. This makes you interior 'skin'.

After that I glued the vacuum formed plastic sections together and filled in the gaps with some of the filler metioned above. With a little sanding and a lot of patience you can get organic forms with seamless joints in this way.

Remember to allow overlaps on each part for gluing them together.

The beauty of this method is, while the wooden forms take a long time to make (depending on the complexity of the shape of xourse), you have the option of vac forming an endless supply of parts from the same form.

I know this is long-winded and may not be relevant to you but just in case...

Oct 17, 05 4:21 am  · 
 · 
user09

thanks guys this stuff is great

Oct 17, 05 4:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: