Archinect
anchor

healthcare insurance options for small businesses.

hello

i was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on getting healthcare insurance for a small business >> how you went about it, who you got it from, successes, failures, etc?

i am currently on a policy offered at my wife's work. we are trying to figure out how and when she could leave her job to come work with me.

having no insurance is not an option, and i will need something more than a basic plan as i have had type I diabetes for 30 years. i am in good health all things considered, but the supplies for my insulin pump, blood testing supplies, and regular three month check ups at the doctor will kill me without insurance.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

best,
e

Oct 13, 05 4:38 pm
A

When I didn't have a dental policy I used some simple web searching and used a website that searched insurance policies from several providers. Looked like it was set up more for the self insured, but was insightful. You could also just call an insurance broker and explain your situation. My guess is that they'd gladly give you some free advise. If you buy through them they'll charge a fee, but might be able to get you a better deal. Hate to say it, but this is where big firms win. Best of luck to you.

Oct 13, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

We did a little research into it here in CA, and it ended up looking like we'd get a better deal just sticking with our individual plans than trying to do it through the company - We looked at Blue Cross/Blue Shield & Healthnet, companies we had insurance with before through work and that we had no problem with.
We've heard bad stories about smaller, lesser known insurance companies and didn't want to take a risk. Currently, my husband has an individual PPO through Healthnet, and I have a Blue Cross HMO through CalCobra, which is an extension of Cobra (so basically it's my former employer's plan and I pay all the fees - good for three years after I left, which leaves me another 1.5 years).
We also talked to a broker, but she didn't have anything better to offer than what we had found researching on our own through the company websites. When my Calcobra runs out, I will most likely join my husband's plan, as his is better than plans now offered because he signed up a few years ago. Also, we're about to have a child, so she'll be added to my insurance for the moment and then we'll switch to a family plan (fingers crossed).
To make a long story short, I would definitely talk to at least one broker, but I would also research plans and costs for a few of tha larger providers in your state. Your best bet may be to find out if your wife can continue with her current insurance, at the very least through Cobra for a year and a half, or through an individual plan that she could add you to. It seems to be less expensive to go with an insurer who already carries you than to start new, at least in our experience. Also, the Cobra thing varies - when I left the job I had before my last job, the Cobra fees were going to be much more than what the fees are now, for a comparable plan. I'm not sure if it's because the second firm was much larger, but in any case if your wife has that option she should find out how much the Cobra fees will be, yourself included (if there's a way to do that discretely)...

Oct 13, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Also, my understanding from our accountant is that it's still fully deductible, whether it's officially an individual plan or a company plan... but I would verify that.

Oct 13, 05 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

you may want to track this: AIA Promotes Affordable Health-care Coverage

you also may want to look at this: AIA Medical Benefits Center

in recent years, it's become very difficult (due to complex legal and regulatory reasons) for the AIA to offer highly competitive health coverage to its members ... i believe that is about to change, but you still may find more cost-effective coverage elsewhere through other sources

good luck ...

Oct 13, 05 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've got a policy through Kaiser. It's about $250 per month, covers everything including dental, eye, acupuncture, etc.
I can put any employees on the plan as well. Not the cheapest, but the coverage is really good.

The weird thing is that I had to wait to something like within 30 days of my birthday to sign up. Inintially that required waiting several months.
Dont' really know why, it's some policy for small businesses.

Oct 13, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
e

thanks all. good advice all around.

rudolph, the plan will probably be to use cobra for year and a half prior to switching to our own insurance. i figure that will be cheaper than getting our own. at this point we are just trying to budget and get an understanding of how much this will cost us.

trace, that is an odd thing about it being related to your birthday. almost as odd as health insuranse being tied to your job. ;]

any other thought are greatly appreciated.

Oct 14, 05 10:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

e - did you call Victor O. Schinnerer and Company? That's who the AIA refers you to, as I recall from going through this process 6 months ago. I was surprised to find that getting insurance just for me plus my family was actally less expensive than getting a group rate for myself and my partner - a group of two. So I have private coverage for me and my family, as does my partner.

It's not fabulous coverage, and we have expensive co-pays, but we're getting by on it. Approximately $500/month, covers me, my husband's allergy treatments (shots every week), and a toddler with tubes in his ears along with the typical daycare kennel cough woes - god, my family sounds like uber-geeks, don't we? Really, we're not!

Schinnerer found me significantly cheaper plans than I could find on my own - for example, Aetna was double the cost. Granted, they cover more health issues (contraception and maternity), but my new business can't shoulder that cost right now.

I wish the AIA could offer us more in this area, but they did direct me to Schinnerer, so I shouldn't bitch too much, I guess.

Good luck.

Oct 14, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 
e

lb, i did not call him. thx for the tip. your family does not sound geeky just normal. those who are perfect in life and health are the abnormal ones.

concensus seems to be individual insurance is cheaper than group.

Oct 14, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: