Archinect
anchor

visit the glass house??

hbb

I remember hearing that Philip Johnsons Glass House will be open as a museum, does anybody know if this allready happend.
Or if it is possible to see the house from the outside (enter the site)?

Oct 13, 05 8:24 am
MickMack

it will be going to the national trust (as stated in his will) but it will most likely be a while before one can get in. and no, you cannot see it from the entrance. its a shame.

Oct 13, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 

A friend and I made a stop out there on an east-coast architour in May. Geographically, all we knew was the house's address was New Canaan, CT (this from the new arcthictural stamp series). After about 4 stops for directions in and around New Canaan, we finally found a local who actually knew what we were talking about.

We parked in front of the gate and were walking around the yet-to-be-opened visitor's blob when we decided to give the door a pull. Sure as shit, the thing was unlocked. Inside were a few pieces of P.Jo's furniture, but little else. We were snapping pics as fast as our shutters would go, when we saw a caretaker approaching. We went out to meet the guy (hairy hobbit of a man, nice as could be). He told us that the grounds were not open to the public yet, and would not be ready until Spring 2006. "Any chance we could see the house?" I asked. "I was just headed down to grab a few things from the guest house, you can tag along if you like."

<heavens opened, music was heard>

As we walked down the path towards the house, the caretaker asked if we would kindly move our car as soon as we were done. He said a few family members were coming out in the afternoon to use the pool (which I had never seen in photos...circular dish of a pond between the two houses).

He asked that we not take any photos of the houses, since the restoration and redecorating were not complete. "No problem" I said, simultaneously flicking the lens cap off my camera and powering it on with my hand behind my back.

As he went in the guest house, we were free to walk around the glass house, covertly snapping as many photos as possible. The caretaker then emerged and went up the hill towards the groundskeeping house to talk with another worker who was mowing the hillside. "Who the hell are they?" yelled the grass cutter. "A couple of students from Minnesota" he replied. "Well, get some goddamned money from them, we all know its going to run out soon!" He yelled back over the howling lawn tractor.

The first caretaker came back and told us about the schedule for opening the house in spring. Visitors will be able to walk through both houses (for a yet undertermined fee), and view P.Jo's other works in the visitor's center. We thanked him, walked back up the hill to our rental, and headed back to Boston.

Oct 13, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: