Archinect
anchor

Energy Stations

neildesi

Does anyone know of any interesting projects involving gas stations / energy stations? fuel stations for hybrid cars, etc.?

just curious as to how architecture can lead the way in changing consumption trends.

Oct 12, 05 5:12 pm

this isnt really about what your asking, but relevant and pretty neat, although I question the gargantuant scale....
http://www.enviromission.com.au/project/video/video.htm

Oct 12, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

i see..... :s

Oct 12, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

wow. scary. is that someone's idea of a POSITIVE vision for the future?

Oct 12, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

I think the sahara would have to be turned into glass for it...
And Im not sure that it produces enough energy to make up for the energy of building it.
BUT, it is an idea,
have you guys seen foster's design of the Manchester stadium?!?
with a huge wind turbine?

At my job we were discussing the other day that we need to get decentralized, each house should make its own energy (a small turbine, solar panels, etc....) and then be connected to a larger web of renewable materials as a secondary measure. Performing more like an organic sytem.
The problem is what happens if soemone drivesa plane into that huge turbine? What if is not efficient.
Humans have a fetish with size and centralization.....

Oct 12, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Energy Independence Now!

Oct 12, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

There is a community in germeny where each house generates its own power and treates its own waste, although i do not remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Oct 12, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

There are a variety of energy systems, from wind turbines to plasma gassifiers and solar desalinization get-ups (that's my tech-term), algea farms etc... that would be amazing if someone could come up with a practical way to apply them at the scale of a home or even a small community...big oil probably won't let it happen any time soon...

Oct 12, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, I mean in the US...I've heard (not read) that there are bldgs in Germany that are net energy producers at the end of the year, that is, they have some self-generated energy leftover to sell to the local power company. That's freakin' cool.

Oct 12, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
nathaniel

That’s the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Here is an idea - instead of drilling Alaskan wilderness reserves for oil and building monster power generating devises, why don’t we stop driving SUV’s and burning incandescent light bulbs??

Oct 12, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

does anybody know the names of these inovative german projects...i would realy like to see something...

Oct 12, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

I know that in Colombia they are doing something similar

Look up "Gaviotas"

a sustainable community in the "Llanos"

Oct 12, 05 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

There is some progress. A guy on the Dwell forums did some calculations and he's building his house, 100% self sustained, for the same cost as traditional heating/cooling.
It's pretty cool and he's gone through a billion calculations.

Now, granted, he's relying on HUGE paybacks from NY (not sure how many states offer this, but it'd be nice to know).
Check it out (sorry, too early, no coffee, or I'd dig up the link).

Large SUV sales are plummeting!! Yeppie!!!

Oct 13, 05 8:33 am  · 
 · 
JA|||ES

All of the new BP Gas stations as of a year or so ago have PV solar panels as roofs (over the gas pumps themselves). I thought this was an innovative idea, especially considering many stand alone in the middle of suburbia.

Oct 13, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, I thought I noticed that the other day here in Orlando. I was with my non-arch friend and I kinda freaked out about it and got all excited. He just looked at me funny and changed the subject...

Oct 13, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

leave it to a British company to bring renewable energy to the states...

Oct 13, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
AP

...gas stations.

Oct 13, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzytank

"All of the new BP Gas stations as of a year or so ago have PV solar panels as roofs (over the gas pumps themselves). I thought this was an innovative idea, especially considering many stand alone in the middle of suburbia."

also you are not required to count solar panels in your lot coverage, so it is helpful for them in cost savings too.

Apr 12, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: