Archinect
anchor

terrorism and fortification in architecture

softcell

hi

i am starting my thesis project about paranoid highrises.
i want to start with an analysis about the development of fortresses...
does anyone know some good links?

oke

Oct 12, 05 10:48 am

can't put my hands on it, but there was a critical article in metropolis a few years ago (even before 9.11) about a fortress-like higrise (embassy?) by gwathmey siegel which expanded into a question about security vs. openness.

you should be able to find a good number of articles on this discussion in the period following the ok city bombing and the embassy bombings in africa. also, articles on the development of the design which replaced the ok city federal bldg, which were very heavily concerned with security/openness.

and, more recently, critiques of the post-nypd-involvement design of the freedom tower.

i'll dig around. i collected some of this stuff once.

Oct 12, 05 10:56 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

In 'New York 1960' (by Robert A.M. Stern, Thomas Mellins and David Fishman) there's
a chapter on the topic of shelter for the people of NYC in case of a disaster. Not sure if
that's any help for your thesis, but perhaps it's worth checking out. I have only skimmed
it but it seems to (among other things) cover alot of the paranoid fears following the army
bomber hitting theempire state building in 1945 and other events that led to the planning
of huge shelters (for about 4m people) in the late 50's.

Oct 12, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
softcell

thanks a lot steven..
i am going to check that out...

i really appreciate your help..

Oct 12, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: