Archinect
anchor

curved, tapered stair in 3dsmax

I am trying to create a curved stair that has a landing in the middle tapers out at both ends (pretty much an hourglass shaped stairwell in plan, with a slight curve to it). I would like to just group the tread, riser, stringer and handrail of a straight stair all together, the use modifiers to morph it into the shape i want. I've tried using the taper, bend and twist commands, but none of them have delivered what i am looking for - the treads begin to spread out at the edges and over the stringers, and/or the handrails end up looking like someone melted them - any suggestions? would turning the group into a mesh help at all? are their other modifiers you would suggest? ... i'm using Max7

Oct 12, 05 1:58 am
Per Corell

Hi
Maby not much help , but when I need this I have my own first AutoLisp application that acturly in a command batch ,copy and turn the entities I pointed out around a point; the app. ask step and a piece railing or whatever you want to form the spiral stairs , are then copied and elevated then turned once again aso the number of times you ansver -- , if you want this small app. I can copy and paste it if you then load it into _any AutoCAD or AutoCAD clone point out any entity or block to be turned and elevated repetedly , it will produce the spiral stairs ---- then you can import it into 3DMAX.

Oct 12, 05 6:22 am  · 
 · 
trace™

you try the 4x4x4? Group, then Modifiers>4x4x4 (there are others, like 2x2x2, etc.). Really handy.

Otherwise, go to the experts:

www.cgarchitect.com
www.cgtalk.com

Oct 12, 05 8:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: