Archinect
anchor

Advice on Lobby Renovation - Doors/Entry

~quizzical~

Dear Mighty Architects of Archinect:

I need some advice and I need a pointer to an appropriate discussion board, web site or company. Can you help? Thank you in advance!!!

Our residential building is undertaking a lobby/entrance renovation. We have been advised that doors (and installation) will cost a bit over $30,000. Since the entire budget is just over $100,000, this is a bit of a stretch for this one element. I am looking for a reality check. I want to confirm the estimate simply to be in the proper "ballpark." Could this be done for $20,000? How about $10,000?

Here then are my questions:

How can I learn more about door options and pricing?

Are there discussion forums that deal directly with this type of question?

Can anyone point to some manufacturers/websites that specialize in commercial, architectural doors?

Just fyi:
- There are two pairs of doors. The outer pair has no lock. The inner pair has an electonic lock.
- The design is clean and contemporary--glass and steel, with a small frame or kickplate.

Many, many thanks,

~quizzical~

Oct 11, 05 5:06 pm
art tech geek

try looking at a base price in a somewhat standard commercial retail store front - ie. anodized dark bronze aluminum from a commercial glazing company.

work around that figure and see where the money is going........... it might help establish a reality check.

Oct 12, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

herculite doors tend to be rather common, at least in the work I have done. try searching for this as a starting point as well.

the additional components, electronic lock, any sensory equipment, finish etc will up the price also. You also have to take into consideration the mark-ups of the sub (10-15% I think is avg.), price of delivery and if it needs to be expedited to meet schedule you are looking at more moola.

Oct 12, 05 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

It's entirely possible that an entry system could cost that much with installation - there are huge variations depending on exactly which type of system is used and who is installing. If you are trying to verify that someone isn't pocketing money or over-paying their friends to do the job, you could get together with other residents & request copies of three bids showing which system is being used and installation cost. However, keep in mind that you could get someone to give you a much lower bid, probably with a different system than the one chosen, but you wouldn't have any experience with this contractor or system - presumably whoever is in charge of the renovation has done this before and gone with this system/contractor because they feel it fits the needs of the project.
Are you a renter or owner? If renter, I wouldn't bother spending time on it, if owner & it's a condo then you'd have to look at the history of the board, who they choose to work for them, etc. and see what you can get in terms of documentation. In any case, you wouldn't be able to accurately question their numbers without getting real quotes from installers defining exactly which type of system you are proposing. The only way to do this would be to go to a door/window installer and have them come and give a quote - however this is not really fair if you are not actually in a position to hire them and are only looking for a number...

Oct 12, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

issues to think about:

fire rating. are the doors rated? cost goes up with this.

look at adjacent issues. modification to wall, structural issues, HVAC, floor transition, etc.

electronic lock. these get expensive. is it a card reader, key pad, etc? a pair with electronic locks are difficult but not impossible. you need a magnetic lock in either the head or sill, neither are cheap.

ADA. power actuation for doors isn't cheap either. if their not sized right, you might be powering both doors instead of one.

manufacturer. fabrication and lead time could be a factor. might upset contractors sequencing.

my 2 cents.

Oct 12, 05 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: