Archinect
anchor

I hate pcees, gimme a mac dammit

harold

Just need a moment to rant.

As I was yesterday in the machouse to buy my dream computer, a G5 with a 23" monitor, a little voice in my head told me "you betta don't do that shit". I felt down to de floor with tears in my eyes and realized I would never be able to use non of the current software (except for adobe/macromedia) I have on my pc. It is just not fair. Photographers, advertisers and web designers, all got fastest, more stable, better looking machines to run relatively little software on like photoshop. We on the other hand are stuck with bad looking, slow working, and unstable piece of crab forcing large software to works on. Can you imagine putting Ciata on a pc bought at K-mart? What amazes me more is that in 2005 we are still working on crappy windows and pc's that are not made for the type of software we use. Aren't we kind of entitled to have a computer specially made for architecture? We do much more than just adjusting pictures like photographers, yet we're stuck with pc's designed for internetters and email readers. But whose fault is it? It can't be the software companies. Why would rhino or autodesk want to put there software in a Toyota while they have the option to work in a Ferrari.

Sorry for the rant, just need to get this out of my system.

Oct 8, 05 6:33 am
trace™

Not sure what you have, I'll assume a KMart PC for sake of argument.

It's all subjective to some degree:

Macs:

- better looking, built better
- cost 30-50% for same performance
- they are by no means faster, that's just nonsense
- in my experience with a G5, they suck for stability (again, that's just been my experience running FormZ and Ill/PS)

My PCs (Dells) are spec'd exactly how I need them. If your machine isn't made for your work, then you bought the wrong one.

I think you should read up a little more on what makes what work. PS and graphic intensive programs require different things than ACAD (which really doesn't need much, at least for averarge projects).

Lastly, why buy a Ferrari when you need something as stable and value oriented as a Toyota or Chevy (toss that one in there 'cause the new Vetter eats up Ferrari's for about 70% less).

To each his own, but the only advantage that the Mac has from my point of view is looks and build quality, but I wouldn't pay 30-50% for a PC when mine work just fine, and incredibly stable (keep in mind I'll be using dual processors, rendering, and editing 200mb PS files without problems - acad? runs fine on my 5 year old dog).

Oct 8, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Pete

Maybe I need to look somewhere else, but until this point, I haven't found an out of the box pc with an expandable memory up to 8mb, dual processors 2.7 GHz Nvidia Geforce 6800 256 MB with dual link DVI, double sided 16 speed dvd+_ burner, optical digital sound in-output, 10/100/1000BASE-t ethernet, airport extreme and a whole bunch of software included. Sure you can try to build something like this on the pc, but I’ll cost you. The Dell dimension xps 600 comes close but still a far second.

Oct 8, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Pete

Harold,

What pc you got?

Oct 8, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 

The floodgates are officially open...

Oct 8, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
manamana

here we go again.

this argument is pointless, I'll sum it up in one sentence:

if either PCs or macs have given you any reason to hate them, it's because you don't know what you're doing.

more specifically:
the price argument is pointless. when you get down to it, comparing the features you care about, they're not that different price-wise most of the time.

the performance argument is largely pointless. the architectures are so different, and the software optimized and updated so often, that even comparing idential benchmarks on identical software is next to useless.

Granted, architects are in a bit of a fix since autocad et al don't run on a mac, but that by no means renders a mac unusable for architecture (VW, cadtools for illustrator, formz etc). the main difference is that PCs are more easily customizable to specific types of architectural work.

so it basically comes down to: use what you like and shut the hell up.

Oct 8, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

well said, manamana

Oct 9, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

HEY HAROLD

Your profile doesn’t say where u live but I will assume it’s the US. And I’ll tell you something ::!!!

I live in a place where it is very difficult to find quality computer components
Where what the market offers is extremely, extremely limited.
We here, make about 25% of the money you guys down there make, so our acces to computer parts and software are really hard to buy. And MACs are seen almost as Rolls Royces because of how expensive they are.

BUT

We assemble our own PC’s with what I would say are components you can get in the US, INTEL MoBo’s & microprocessors, generic RAM, Generic Nvidia or ATI VoBo’s, not that great hard drives, CD DVD drives (LG is the brand here lately). The cases are mostly horrible, I can’t even find a decent white plain case, most of them are really overdesigned silver & black with a lot of coloured lights everywhere, it’s really a horrible 3rd world asian-american aesthetic

AND

I’ve built my P.III and my P.IV and so have my friends, and they never crash, of course since they are so hard for us to get say 1,500 U$, we take really good care of them, lots of care and maintenance and updates and they never crash, they are as reliable as any IBM or whatever BIG brand name. the software and the hardware is really reliable.

Say I work everyday 12 hours with sometimes MAX + ACAD + P.CHOP + MSN + WEB + WINAMP + WORD all open at the same time and will only have a problem if I decide to do a small animation right there, but that will not often be the case.

I think as they say post above it’s how you manage what you got, and MACs, well everyone wants one, ‘cause they look so fakin good, but ranting and falling down on the floor with tears in your eyes is a little too much ! Living in the US, I bet you can have access to building a fakin really good windows based system with quality components and customized for your work, and I bet you can have access to a good looking system as well, so don’t crybaby for something as dumb as that !

Oct 9, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

why do we keep doing this. it's only a computer. if you want a mac, save up and buy one. if you don't want a mac, quite bellyaching.

Oct 9, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: