Archinect
anchor

How to find a teaching job...

Does anybody know of any websites that list openings for professors at architecture schools?

Oct 7, 05 3:24 pm
Louisville Architect
www.acsa-arch.org

also higheredjobs.com: head for academic jobs.

Oct 7, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

well, somebody advertised in the archinect jobs section for the latest opening at USC... for a new Dean!

Oct 7, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

academic jobs @

Chronicle of Higher Education
http://chronicle.com/jobs/

Oct 7, 05 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Boston Society of Architects

posts educational positions on their job site from time to time...

Oct 8, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 

Seriously, what does everyone think about the USC search for a dean? I heard Moss is being reviewed soon at SCI-Arc. Not sure on the exact timeline.

Oct 8, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

What is there to think about it? I think we should wait till they pick a dean to have "thoughts" about it.. otherwise, i imagine everyone should have only the thought of "I hope they pick a good dean."

Steve, do you think your idol Hernan should get the position?

Oct 8, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Steve- I definitely have thoughts. For instance, I think it's very interesting that the Dean of the School of Theater is the chair of the search committee. I believe that this indicates that they are seriously considering at least one internal candidate. The only advantage of having a relative outsider to the school chair the committee is that they won't be biased for or against internal candidates, otherwise they should have had Chuck LaGreco or Doug Noble or similar chair the committee. So, that said, I really hope it's not Chuck LaGreco - he's one of those 'born second in command' sort of guys. Good at carrying out, bad at thinking up. I honestly don't think that there's anyone internal who's suited for the job, but of all the possibilities there, I'd put my money on Amy Murphy, but I wouldn't like it.

Dean Timme raised PILES of money for the school during his tenure. They're getting another floor put on their building by a good architect, they've attracted some good teachers lately (every new teacher I met is better than those I had first and second year who weren't invited back), and I think in general he put in a good effort towards elevating the program's status in the profession and get better amenities for his school. He knew who to glad-hand, and how to do it, and it paid off. However, I think (very respectfully of course) that he lacked a certain amount of vision and a hands-on approach with the curriculum and students.

This is what I think USC needs from their new dean - vision, a good (but not necessarily flashy) professional reputation, and a willingness to listen to the students and make some mid-sized changes in the curriculum. Timme worked in baby steps, and I think they need a new dean who will be able to come in and implement some bolder changes and figure out how to use the money that Timme got for the school in the best way possible.

What are your thoughts on it? And just for my info, what's your relationship to the program & position in the profession (i.e. are you a professor, did you graduate or ever teach at SC? etc.). I graduated from the school this past may, and sat on the curriculum committee for a semester and interacted with Timme as a result of being the leader of a student organization. Just so you know where I'm coming from with all this stuff. I'm not discouraging your views if/because you're not close to the program, in fact I'm rather interested in what the rest of the architectural community thinks about this, but it's always nicer to know what sort of perspective you're hearing, I think.

Hotsies- those who are close to the program really should have more specific thoughts than that. A 'good dean' is a very general term, and I don't know anyone in (or recently graduated from) the program that doesn't have a rather specific definition of what that would entail.

Oct 9, 05 1:39 am  · 
 · 

bump.

C'mon Steve. You got me interested, and then left. I would really love to hear someone else's perspective on the search...

Oct 12, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not very familiar with USC's School of Architecture. That's why I'm asking... my own interest centers on pedagogy finally becoming andragogy in the realm of architectural education.

Oct 12, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Interesting comments on USC's present and potential future for this alumnus. (I just sat in on a jury there yesterday, by coincidence.) I'm too far removed to know the current/recent ins and outs, though I've met Murphy and, of course, Lagreco is a known quantity to anyone who's been though there in the last three decades. I'll stay tuned.

Oct 13, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, now you've made me wonder whether I've ever had you for a jury, or whether I might know you... out of curiousity, what jury did you sit on? Third year housing, by any chance (a few of my friends were freaking out over the weekend)? Which professor?

Oct 13, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, that's the one. It was impressive... a lot of good work, I have to say.

Oct 13, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

which studio were you at though? I know about half of Brian Andrews' section, and was curious how they did.

Oct 13, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was in the review with Brian, Stefan, and Ed. I thought they did fine. No embarrassments that I could see, though some were stronger than others, of course. Overall, better than the quality of work coming out of studios when I was there 25 years ago.

Oct 13, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Rationalist please post another comment soon. Your comments total is scaring me.

Oct 13, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: