Archinect
anchor

autocad on powerbook G4? anyone?

vespa

i would like to run autocad on my powerbook and i am curious if anyone has done this successfully. if so, i would appreciate advice on how to set up the hardware/software.

apple powerbook model 9677LL/A spec's:
-1.67GHz PowerPC G4
-1.5 Gig SDRAM
-64 MB VRAM
-80 Gig HD

i am considering the purchase of virtual pc and windos os to run autocad, but i have no idea how well these apps will work togethre on my powerbook. other ideas would be greatly apprceciated. many thanks.

Oct 2, 05 1:25 pm
ret

virtual pc is very slow...if you are buying a macing for autocad primarily, then you are better of buying an windows laptop

Oct 2, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

Yeah the answer to your question is really that you don't run autocadd on a mac. Vectorworks is a good cadd program that does work with apple and lots of people like it better than autocadd. That's your best bet for a cadd drafting program on a mac I think.

Oct 2, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

Also Archicad and powercad

Oct 2, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

i would go with vectorworks as well. much faster, more stable than autocad

Oct 2, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

I run AutoCad in VP on a PB 1.25 GHZ with 1 G of RAM. It runs a bit slow but never to the point that I was troubled by it. I agree with the above posts that if you have the option, run a CAD program native to Mac. I went the VP and ACAD route because at school we do alot of group projects that entail sharing CAD files with each other and most of the folks have PC's and run ACAD. One thing that I haven't really checked out is how the drawing files transfer between the different software (say ACAD to Vectorworks). Perhaps someone else can speak to that.

Oct 2, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Archicad has amazing translation skills and is a much more mature program in many respects. It really depends on what you're doing. Vectorworks is a less expensive choice and still has some interesting 3-d capability. PowerCADD is another and is known for its elegant 2-d simplicity.

Supposedly, Sketchup is introducing a 2-d drafting program tomorrow that will sync with their current 3d offering.

Good luck!

Oct 3, 05 12:44 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

NSJ, did you do any kind of 3D work in ACAD, or was it mostly 2D?

Oct 3, 05 12:49 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

As long as you're exporting recent DWG versions (2001 +), things like lineweights and hatches should transfer between VW and autocadd pretty well. I can't speak to the 3D capability of any of these traditionally 2D programs. Anyhow, getting different 2D and 3D cadd programs to 'talk to' one another is just a basic computer skill that everyone should know a little about.

Oct 3, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Only 2d.

I have Rhino as well, and it runs in VP, but I wouldn't recommend it for doing any real modeling. I just use it to take sectional cuts of Maya models which it can handle as long as the shapes aren't too complex.

Oct 3, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: