Archinect
anchor

Zaha using BIM

jaja

I've recently been to an archicad seminar in one of the machouses in the city. Very interesting, but I have my doubts when it comes to design. Archicad (and for that matter all BIM software) seems to be very effective and efficient when making construction documents for the more orthogonal traditional building. Any thing non-traditional or organic seems to be not done with BIM sofware. So if you have a full packaged Bim at the office, what do you use to conpetualize? You can't make massing models or make use of different modifiers and nurbs. So how do you (or the design department) deal with these limiations? Does this mean that starchitects like Zaha or Lynn never will use BIM software in the near future?

Oct 1, 05 6:18 pm
D_shok

Catia/Digital Project (developed by Gehry Technologies) allows BIM and works well for that kind of architectural style.

Oct 1, 05 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Morphosis was testing Generative Components by Bentley a while ago, not sure where it went.

It'll be interesting to see if GT takes off. Great idea, I hope it does work, as long as it doesn't create a thousand Gehry rip offs, or worse, Lynn wannabes (that actually build - what a nightmare!).

Oct 2, 05 9:28 am  · 
 · 
bRink
gehry technologies

Digital project looks very cool... But how much will it cost?

Will Digital Project be affordable by the average non-Gehry firm? Because I think alot of the existing commonly used BIM softwares have things in the works that might narrow the gap with something like Catia from the bottom up... Will Digital Project be as expensive and sophisticated as Catia, or will it be a more affordable, scaled down and highly specialized software package useful to the average architect?

Oct 3, 05 1:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: