Archinect
anchor

bachelor education

aljonmondo

Hi there,

I'm currently a high school senior in Canada and hoping to pursue a career in architecture. I was wondering if any of you know programs in or outside Canada (excluding the US) for a Bachelor's Degree, specifically one that is professional and well known.

Thank you.

Nov 2, 11 1:08 am
Quentin

IDK about Canada but all the US accreditted schools are listed here:

http://www.naab.org/architecture_programs/

Nov 2, 11 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Stephanie

Oh dear. Don't they teach the interweb in high school these days?

Googling 'accredited bachelor of architecture Canada' yields the following:

For a professional bachelor of architecture, you can go to Carleton, McGill, U of T, or Waterloo.

Hope you like Ontario!

There are, however, many options these days. What do you mean by 'a career in architecture'?

If I was giving advice to myself before I went to architecture school, I would have said the following:

'Sure, the movies make architecture sound prestigious and well-paid. The reality is that the average bus driver will make more than you in spite of all your fancy 'education' and 'experience'. If you want a short-cut to the world of architecture, go and take a 6 month CAD program, a 6 month 3-D modelling program, and then learn the leading rendering software. Take some graphic design courses, specifically in illustrator, photoshop, and print/logo design. Finally, take a project-management course and get some experience at a construction/engineering firm where they have things like 'processes' and 'methods' and some kind of 'end goal'. Then, take a year to learn another language, preferably German, French, or Spanish. Take an immersion course in another country--you get travel experience and language experience all at the same time.

'Once you've done that, you will be better skilled then most graduate architects who hold a master's degree. They (graduates) will try to convince you that the things they learned in school were 'intangible' and meant 'so much more' than autoCAD and rendering. They will try to tell you that you can't design because you didn't learn design. That is a crock of shit. 90% of the people I graduated couldn't design their way out of a box.

'If you have a modicum of intelligence, common sense, and the ability to organize yourself and others; if you are able to seek problems and then seek solutions; if you know that generating ideas doesn't come from a parti drawing or 'inspiration' that dawns on you from above but rather requires research and critical thinking.... then you are well beyond most graduate architects.'

(I am a Canadian and was just offered a position for 800 euro/month... before taxes. The average chambermaid makes 1100 euro/month... after taxes. I am a graduate architect...)

Best of luck, kid... best of luck...

Nov 2, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rasa

In light of Stephanie's response, think of going to college and joining the architectural technologist/technician programs in Ontario. I know of Centennial,Humber and George Brown. They all span over 2/3 years and teach you almost what Stephanie said.However, the focus is less of design and more of the technical aspect of architecture/construction.

Nov 2, 11 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: