Archinect
anchor

(VW, formz,C4d) or (archicad, C4d) for mac

harold

I'm not going to wait till Autodesk makes software compatible for Mac. So i'm pretty much forced to use mac compatible software. What combination would you recommend? Which on of these combination is suitable for design, construction documents and an occasionall blob?

Vectorworks for 2d
FormZ for 3d
Cinema 4d for rendering

or

Archicad for 2d,3d
Cinema 4d for rendering

Damn, i'm gonna miss my autocad, 3dsmax/viz.

Sep 30, 05 7:43 am
sianm

I use ArchiCAD 9 and ArtLantis 4.5 on my MAC

Oct 12, 05 1:48 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I use VW for 2d, form Z and Cin4d... Then I composit in AE pro

Oct 12, 05 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I'm not a mac user, so I can't verify this from experience, but a friend of mine has been successfully running Rhino via VirtualPC on a mac. Rhino, in my opinion, is the best and easiest modelling program, and if you're going to render in C4D anyhow, it might be worth the slight hassle of using VirtualPC.

Anybody else tried this?

Oct 12, 05 10:31 am  · 
 · 
bigness

never tried rhino on a mac...
i think the first batch would give you a lot more freedom, specially in 3d, but it's probably less indicated if you have a large office.

archicad, when use to use it in an office environment, used to suck enormous dicks, it might have got better with the time, but i like vw a lot, and i hear good things of form z.

Oct 12, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
bigness

actually, how does form z compare to c4d? i always hated the modifiers in c4d, it makes everything very complicated...

Oct 12, 05 10:43 am  · 
 · 
adso

Both Nemetschek (Vectorworks) and Maxon (Cinema4D) have the same parent company, so expect more interoperability from them. Maxon has a set of plugins that allows VW and C4D to play nice which each other.

They also have some plugins for Archicad

I still use formZ a lot, but with each new release I get more and more frustrated because they add features I think are worthless (oohhh doodle render!) and neglect the things that are important, but aren't sexy to the marketing department (i.e. the interface, which still looks and behaves like OS9)

Oct 12, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
NSJ

I've used Rhino in VPC for limited things (primarily the contour tool to get sections of Maya models) and it seems to run OK. Can't say whether doing any serious modeling would be worthwhile.

Oct 12, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Rhino on VPC is horrible for large models. I use Form z 5 to model some pretty large files [30mb] - including symbols and all smooth objects. Granted you can make some of the objects more facetted, but why bother if you have the juice.

The interchange plugins work well between VW and Cin4d and the AE plugins are insane. full 3d composits loaded into AE makes rendering times much easier to cope with.

I personally like the new Physical sky feature in cin4d 9.5 it makes the renderings look more like the Sky System in 3ds 7.

Now if final render stage 2 would drop for cin4d i'd be a happy camper.

Oct 12, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

ArchiCAD isn't a bad program. It streamlines a lot of things that architects do a lot of. If, however, you want to do a nurbsy-spliny building, it's going to be a bit of a fight.

Oct 12, 05 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
LimitedPromos

I use VW & Maya on MAC...others in the office use formz & C4D.

Oct 12, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

I use FormZ (cause I can get a student lease through the university for it for 100 dollars a year), and Power Cad, it's cheeper then ArchiCAD and in some ways better. It's really good with curves and such. I havent had it longs o ido n't know all the ins and outs yet though.

Oct 17, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: