Archinect
anchor

Texas at Austin, Ohio State, UCLA, Columbia

jumpy

Has anyone attended any of these school for their March II Texas at Austin, Ohio State, UCLA, Columbia? If you have what were the positives and negatives of each? Reall just trying to get a good feel for each. Anything additional experiences such as living cost, transportation etc will also be appreciated. thanks

Sep 29, 05 8:41 am
jumpy

?

Sep 29, 05 9:44 am  · 
 · 
jsipprell

if someone is still following this thread, i can post some thoughts about ucla as i am currently enrolled in the program right now for m arch ii.

Oct 23, 05 5:53 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

I'm still following if you would like to share

Oct 23, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I too am very interested in this thread. Please pass on all insight into UCLA's program.

Jumpy, we've posted on a lot of the same grad school threads. Seems that we are in the same boat going for MARCH II's out there. Your list is good. I have looked at all those schools in depth except OSU. UT has a growing reputation and has what I am looking for. Post-prof arch degree with a focus on urban design. I actually got accepted there last year and decided to defer my enrollment to this year. Many reasons for that, but anyway. UT doesn't have any of the flash names that Columbia and UCLA have of course, but they have many distinguished alums who I have heard are around alot. Austin is one of the premier young college towns and all around great cities in the US. Personally, I might be a bit distracted there.

Other than that, UCLA and Columbia kind of speak for themselves. They both have everything I want out of my post-grad study. Heavy focus on digital design and urban design, access to great faculty, located in amazing cities. Financially UCLA blows CU out of the water. Prob about 20k cheaper. Not sure of the cost of living in LA, but I am in NYC right now and I couldn't imagine anyplace being more expensive.

I am applying to both those schools as well as U Penn and the Iliinois Institute of Technology. U Penn b/c it is close to NYC but not as expensive as Columbia and a summer session shorter, and IIT b/c I am from around there and I may be ready for my homecoming when decision time rolls around. We'll see.

Oct 23, 05 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
jsipprell

Forgive the delay in my reply to you guys, we had a pretty substantial review yesterday. Anyway, I've been the M Arch II program here at UCLA for about 3 months now (there's a 6 week summer component for M2's only that precedes the fall quarter). Last fall I was looking into the usual suspects - GSD, Columbia, AA and this place. Obviously UCLA wins hands down on cost, which is definitely something to keep in mind - but what drew me here the most was the faculty, the studio setup, and the equipment.

The faculty is less of an issue since all of those schools above have pretty high marks in that category, but personally I wanted to study with Greg and though he teaches at a bunch of other places, this is obviously his home base. Couple that with the fact that you've got Mayne, Denari, Erdman and Payne here as well, and you have an opportunity to really get a great design education in a short amount of time. If you're into emerging tech, like I am, then the program is really setup great for M Arch IIs since you get Payne and Erdman in the summer and free reign of the facilities (there were basically just 10 of us so you can imagine the amount of face to face you can get - and I won't lie to you, the summer is intense).

The research studios are something that really separated UCLA from the rest of the pack since you got to study with one of the top architects for an entire year - two seminars meeting once a week which would culminate in a design studio. Think of it as a thesis, but a body of research that's developed as a collective. As someone who had already done a thesis in ugrad (Syracuse), I was more interested in working with other talented students than just myself - which is almost a requirement in emerging tech since the materials - 3d prints, plastics, foam are not something you're picking up for a few bucks.

Lastly, the facilities. Despite the fact that it's a state school, the facilities here are really good. A 3d printer, laser cutter, 4x8 3 axis mill, and 2 vacuum formers. I'd say that only about 1/4 - 1/3 of the school is really into the tech stuff so the stuff doesn't get too overwhelmed, though towards the end of terms you can't just walk in and start using them. But that's to be expected anywhere.

Anyway, the best thing I can do is provide a link to the website I have with a few colleagues. It's basically a UCLA M Arch II school blog, just not on this site. At the very least it'll show you how I've been able to mold the curriculum (which is not to say 100% emerging tech) into my own personal interests.

http://www.digital-doa.com/jsipprell

Oct 25, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

When does the summer semester start? How was there only ten of you over the summer. Just curious but what are you living arrangement. Sorry for all the questions

Oct 25, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
jsipprell

i guess it just worked out that there were 10 of us - not sure if the school is intentionally making the classes smaller and therefore more intensive or not. It doesn't really matter in the long term as you're mixed in with the third year M Arch 1's (their final year) to form a large class of about 55-60, which is good because those guys have been here for 2 years and are equally talented but more diverse (since a lot come from different backgrounds).

Most students live in Santa Monica or Venice, but I chose the university housing option in Westwood since I knew I'd be here til 4 am a lot of nights. Plus no car, so it's a no brainer. It's 900 a month for a pretty good sized place with another grad student (brand new unit).

Oh and the summer program starts around Aug 8.

Oct 25, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I heard a dirty rumor that UCLA tends to admit American's who have established residency in CA already. I am sure there is a quite large foreign student population there, but of the American's that are there, can you comment on this rumor?

Since I am American and not from CA, I am hoping this is a filthy fabrication.

The cost is a HUGE plus. If I am in a place in my life that I can pick up and move to LA from NYC, when it comes time next year to sign away the next year of my life, I'll do it. Road Trip!!! But beyond that, all those things you said ring true in my mind and are great reasons to want to go there. Thanks!!

Nov 5, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

Im undergrad at UCLA, not for architecture.. yet. It is virtually 99% in-state, im part of the 1%. It is also almost $38k/yr for out-of-state. Not sure if this is indicative of the grad programs but from what ive heard it is the same.

Nov 5, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Hmmm....jsipprell any insight?

Nov 7, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 
agitated_mind

Dirty, dirty rumor... There's a good mix of foreign/native and resident/non-resident students here. This isn't really an issue in the application process. Cost is more managable here. Total expenses, including cost-of-living, are around $40,000. I believe non-resident grad tuition is somewhere around $24,000. I also live in Westwood, and agree on its advantages. I love that I only use my car once a week.

Nov 7, 05 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I heard that there is some pretty nice new grad student housing recently built close to campus. An affordable one bedroom or studio situation possible. As I am in my Brooklyn apt paying way too much to wait in line to use the f'n shower in a house with 5 people, paying the same amount for my own space sounds about as good as it can get.

All current bitterness aside, is this housing truly nice and available?

Nov 12, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: