Archinect
anchor

Working In Very Remote OVerseas Jobs

MysteryMan

...as a contractor for a large multi-natl corporation. Any of you have a good idea what to watch for? I'm asking Mainly in terms of compensation & benefits. I don't wanna give anyone a good deal, so I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything on my checklist.

What issues do I need to address
that I wouldn't normally think about when interviewing for a domestic job (US)? Also, what kind of bump in compensation is reasonable for a '3month ON' & 2week OFF' overseas assignment?

Thanks

Sep 27, 05 1:56 pm
Manteno_Montenegro

Botswana, by any chance?

Sep 27, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

depends on where you're going, but will you have transportation/security provided?

my old man was in data processing and he was this close to being transferred to johannesburg back in 1993. they were going to provide him with a driver every morning and night. turns out he was more useful in irving TX than in jo'burg -- too bad b/c i was in high school and south africa would've been much more interesting than haltom city TX.

Sep 27, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Not Botswana, but it is in the Third World...thinking Brazil, maybe Africa or some island in the Pacific. Any of those will be infinitely more interesting than 'Suh-Mur-Nuh, GA', the place where I currently 'stay', as some folk say. I dig what you say, Ochona.

The corp I'm looking at seems to have the security, trans, food, lodging in place. Pretty reasonable, at first glance. We haven't talked any real 'turkey' yet, but I'm gonna get slightly ridiculous, then give-n-take as needed.

Sep 27, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: