Archinect
anchor

Anyone know of any precendents for-

jumpy

Anyone familiar with any projects in which the building structure itself was able be reconfigured over time to allow for expansion and development within? Sort of a bolted steel structure on a module that can be adjusted. I quess it would have to be overdesigned to allow for this.

Sep 22, 05 10:55 am
Ms Beary

most common would be to add stories, does that fit your idea?

Sep 22, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Kisho Kurokawa Nakagin Capsule Tower

Sep 22, 05 11:01 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

Well what I was working on is a way to build a structural grid or cage whatever you want to call it around 4 stories tall. It would intialy be programed and partially developed. However there isn't enough funding so the idea is that over time you could simply expand with the shell as the money came in. Its also a way of staking a claim to limited land. The initial program elements would be accessed by catwalks and such. Does that make more sense.

Sep 22, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 

nothing occurs to me that would allow expansion from the inside, as you seem to indicate. first things that come to mind are:

stirling's olivetti project, for which prefabricated units could be added on to the ends of the building as expansion needs came up. (more theoretical than practical, i believe. built, but i don't know that they ever would have/could have added on.)

and the the centre pompidou, less about expansion than floor to floor heights. the x-bracing and connections designed to allow the floors to be moved up and down depending on the height needs of the individual floors. again, don't know if this has even been brought into play...

Sep 22, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 

moshe safdie's montreal expo apartment building

Sep 22, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Es handelt sich um ein für Frau Heidi Weber im Zürichhorn erstelltes Museum, welches ein einzigartiges Gesamtkunstwerk von Le Corbusier darstellt. In seinem letzten Bauwerk werden laufend Malereien, Skulpturen, Tapisserien, Schriften und das graphische Werk Le Corbusiers ausgestellt.

Architektur und Kunstwerke sollen in der Dimension des menschlichen Maßstabes 'Modulor' gezeigt werden, der so die häufige Maßstablosigkeit sog. 'Ausstellungssäle' vermeidet. Das ganze Gebäude ist eine Stahlkonstruktion mit farbigen Emailplatten und Glas.

Das Prinzip des Baues wurde von Le Corbusier über Jahre entwickelt. Das freistehende Dach und der dadurch abgelöste Baukörper im System 'Modulor' von 226 x 226 x 226 cm ermöglicht eine grosse Vielfalt von Anordnungen im Raum. Die Fassade besteht aus widerstandsfähigen Materialien wie Stahl, farbigen Emailplatten und Glas. Le Corbusier demonstriert mit dieser Stahlbaukonstruktion im Modul die konstruktiven und plastischen Möglichkeiten einer vorfabrizierten Trockenbauweise.

Sep 22, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

The idea of centre pompidou is closer to what i was thinking in that you could expand horizontally and vertically within a adjustable structural setup

Sep 22, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Although I've never been a fan of temporary stuctures, I just realized a project I did in school might apply here.
It was a large double skinned "box" where the spaces were mostly hung on vertical tension rods as occupiable solids in a large atrium, connected by cat walks also hung on vertical cables. The main floor and basement were more permanent spaces. The solids were denser at the top and solids could be hung off the bottom of other cubes, this left the main floor mostly open and you would gaze up into the building.
Therefore the structural system was not steel frame, but detachable tension rods and their connections, which seem to me to be more adaptable than bolting and unbolting steel members.

Sep 22, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

For Mrs. Heidi a weber in the Zurich horn provision width unit museum, which represents a singular synthesis of the arts of Le Corbusier, concerns. In its last building constantly painting, sculptures, tapisserien, writings and the graphic work Le Corbusiers are issued. Architecture and works of art are to be demonstrated in the dimension of the human yardstick ' Modulor ', which sucked so the frequent Massstablosigkeit. ' exhibition halls ' avoids. The whole building is a structural steelwork with colored email plates and glass. The principle of the building was developed by Le Corbusier over years. The free standing roof and the solidium in the system ' Modulor ' of 226 x 226 x 226 cm, replaced by it, make large variety possible of arrangements in the area. The front consists of resistant materials such as steel, colored email plates and glass. Le Corbusier demonstrates the constructional and plastic possibilities of a prefabricated dry construction way with this steel structure in the module.

Sep 22, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

jumpy depends on the building type and how you intend to expand - up, down, sideways, et al

there are loads of examples - but a good place to start is the metabolists and most things high tech (but the 70s & 80s models mostly)

Sep 25, 05 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

"Beaux Arts is identified by a symmetrical facade with decorative garlands or floral patterns. Walls are of masonry with the stonework joints exaggerated. . ."
[img]http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/images/structures/Other-kits/V/Vollmer-po-beaux-arts-builtup-3.jpg
[/img]

Sep 26, 05 12:16 am  · 
 · 
deluganmeisslfan

Free Berlin University

It is basically a free plan where the facade is a set of modules that can be adjusted over time. It was built in a few phases. The interior walls are partitions that can move around. Ask me if you want to know more information. I did a case study on it.

Sep 26, 05 1:28 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Theoretical precedents of endlessly expandable structures within a grid would be the classic projects by Archigram, Yona Friedman and Constant Nieuwenhuis. It could also be a good idea to look into Cedric Price's Fun Palace and Inter-Action centre.

Sep 26, 05 3:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: