Archinect
anchor

Hotlinking Images

Josh Emig

The method of posting pictures on archinect using "hotlinking", which is to say that the images in the forums aren't actually uploaded to archinects servers, they are displayed from another location, which is why you use the full address in the img tag to display the image in the discussions.

After a recent mishap where I posted some images from rockandrollconfidential.com/hall in a since killed thread called "OWNED", the images showed up in the discussion forum replaced with a different image ... one involving fellation and a homeless guy.

So, firstly, I apologize for killing the thread and if anyone was offended. The images I meant to post were actually much funnier.

I understand how the switch occurred (go here for explanation). But what I don't understand is that I couldn't see the offensive image from my work computer, but when I viewed the discussion from my laptop, lo and behold. I should have been tipped off when somebody referred to a "gross" image I had posted, and none of the images I meant to post were "gross."

There is another example of this in the design vs. styling forum, where down the page is an image of a woman's thong visible above the back of her jeans. I can see this image at work, but on my laptop it is switched out with an cartoon ad for a site called dumpstersluts.

So, I'm wondering if anybody knows why this happens, why the switch works on some computers and not others?

Sep 22, 05 9:42 am
spiderdad

lol... this is classic archinect.

Sep 22, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i'll bet the two computers have different security levels set, perhaps cookie related. the website probably will display one image if the cookie can be set and another 'default' image if the cookie can't be set. my best guess...

Sep 22, 05 9:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow, i remember posting images on fancy graphics that were deliberate and inappropriate, this was a while back. apparently there are guys out there that like sticking their testicles in mason jars - jam jars - and then vaccuming [sp] the air out of the jars, and actually make their testicles grotesquely enlarge. how i happened on those googled images i don't have a clue, but they seemed as bizare as 3dh....

so i too will apologize.

Sep 22, 05 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: