Archinect
anchor

More on grad schools

likil

I really appeciate guiggster's grad. guide. i copied and pasted one, but feel like i am not doing it correctly.

i hope to hear more of UVa and Columbia.

I hear of many cases where students gain residency of a state after one year of school attendance. I understand according to the law, one needs to live in the state one year prior to school attendance. Does anyone have insight on this?

thanks

Sep 21, 05 3:46 am
guiggster

You did it right. You can add a [ i ] (no spaces) before the paragraph and a [ /i ] at the end to italicize. Similarly, [ b ][/ b ] (again, no spaces) will give you bold. And spellcheck quickly for anal retentiveness' sake. A quick search of relevant threads I think is also handy, if only to show that the person asking for information has done a bit of work to find some as well; though I would not be opposed to some redundancy if it meant consolidating more information into one place.

Please provide even a little info or your opinions if you can.

Sep 21, 05 3:57 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
I understand according to the law, one needs to live in the state one year prior to school attendance. Does anyone have insight on this?

that's only for public schools where you can qualify for in-state tuition if you're a state resident. but each school's requirements as to what makes you "in-state" is different. contact the schools you're interested in. for example, california, i know, is one of the more strict states.

Sep 21, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

A Center for Ants, can you tell me a little more about how to qualify for in-state tuition at UCLA? I haven't actually gotten in yet (cross your fingers!) but it's my top choice. I live in NY but I am moving in May to LA. Is there any way to get around the whole yearlong residency before you qualify for in-state tuition?

Feb 27, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Eep! Didn't realize how old this discussion thread was. Info will still be appreciated if you have it. Thanks!

Feb 27, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

For most states, you'll need to take all those little steps you would if you were moving there to work- new drivers' license, car registration, use your dorm/apartment as your permanent address, file your income taxes there. Basically the state wants to know that you are contributing and stand a good chance of continuing to contribute to their economy.

Feb 27, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Yeah, makes sense. I have made peace with the fact that it will probably take me a year to establish residency. However, I've heard of people getting in-state tuition because their spouses are employed permanantly in the state or whatever. Has anyone else heard of this? My husband has already accepted a full-time position in LA. Any idea if this can help me?

Feb 27, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I was able to qualify as a state resident - and also for state financial aid - when I was an undergrad after living in New York for one year, even though I was a fulltime student during that year. In many states this is impossible, and it might not be possible in New York anymore either - I don't know. But in that state, at the time, some of the criteria they used to establish state residency were: are you supported by anyone else and/or are your education expenses being covered by anyone else out of state - if so you can't get state residency (I had not lived with parents in a few years at that time, and was able to show that I was paying my own tuition and housing bills), and can you show that you consider this state to be your fulltime home (some things I was asked for were details of my voter registration, state drivers license, and tax returns filed for that state.)
In many states schools it's not possible to switch residency status once you're already enrolled (unless you take off a year or more in-between.)
Specific rules vary a lot from state to state. In some you can get residency status right away if you have a parent living in the state -even if you're independent and in grad school. Sometimes if your spouse has lived in a state for a year then you're considered a resident too, even if you didn't live with your spouse in that state that year or if you haven't been employed in the state at all.
You should check with the school directly.

Feb 27, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: