Archinect
anchor

Smithsons Floating Island

big dead elephant

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050916/ap_en_ot/floating_island

Sorry I havent been around much, Have we seen this yet?

Sep 20, 05 6:26 pm
abracadabra

it should be 4 times bigger minimum.

Sep 20, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sergio Lopez-Pineiro

why do you say that abra?

Sep 20, 05 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i don't really know why i said it, but i know when i saw the barge, it made me want to have a floating farm at some point. it also reminded me the drawing above for some reason.
i did not say it is not a beautiful art piece though. timing of the piece is perfect and alarming about the environment and rapid deteriation of nature. the famous new york barges hauling trash comes to mind as well.

Sep 20, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sergio Lopez-Pineiro

yeah, maybe ...

when i saw it, i originally thought something similar: "this piece is great, but will it make a difference in the end?" it seemed to me that it was a bit like a toy ... bigger and accessible to the public might have betrayed its artistic/metaphoric nature (we don't really know what smithson would have thought, so let's say might) but would have really made a difference to NYC and its inhabitants ... a bit like wanting to be and not really being ...

but now, i'm thinking that maybe it's better like that: like a small post-it in the margins of your cone of vision ... reminding you constantly ... like a call of attention: pointing but letting you enough freedom for working out the problem in your own way ...

Sep 20, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: