Archinect
anchor

Looking for arts/events space in Prospect Heights--any leads?

Gemini_and_Scorpio

Trying to find a miracle of a space to create something amazing in an area I've grown to love (Prospect Heights, Brooklyn). I want to run a local event space, one that would have good atmosphere and fun parties and art from local artists. No thumping techno, but great live music. Yoga and dance classes. I want to make my living room the community's arts center and a great location for private parties.

Looking for about 2000 sq ft at about $1/sq ft, live/work, with a sympatehtic landlord who would understand what I'm trying to do and possibly give a break on the rent for the first 1-2 months to rebuild into something beautiful. Must have roof access or backyard, 2 exits a plus. Storefront w/apt above also possibility. Would prefer direct/no fee. This is the kind of space that revitalizes a neighborhood. Please help!

CL "wanted" ad: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/hou/98359171.html

Sep 20, 05 3:19 pm
ochona

i don't know much / anything about new york, but are there any vacant lots in the neighborhood? seems like you could hook up with others who share your dream and you could develop something that could culminate in a whole new building and then some. good luck -- it sounds like an interesting project.

Sep 20, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
mm

This isn't much of a lead, but it might help... about 4 years ago, when my wife (at the time she was my girlfriend) was living in Prospect Heights on Underhill Avenue, there was a small theater company/art house that opened on her block. It was on Underhill between Sterling and St. Johns. Chances are, rents have gotten too expensive for a small theater like that to still be there. But if you're in the neighborhood, walking right past it might be worthwhile.

I recommend canvasing the neighborhood, putting up fliers, and see if you get anything that way... Right now rents in Prospect Heights are quite high, so it would be hard to find a landlord willing to give you a break.

But there are some vacancies on Washington and Vanderbilt, so there might be an option there.

You might want to look in Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, or Crown Heights, where prices are a bit less.

Sep 20, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Gemini_and_Scorpio

There are indeed empty lots in the neighborhood, but as most of those who understand what I'm trying to do and would share my dream are broke artists, it is not a realistic possibility to do that. Not unless someone with capital suddenly thinks the arts are a good investment in new york. an unlikely option, as those who live here can attest to.

Once I have a rental space, I can try to generate money for a more permanent arrangement, but I am trying for one thing at a time.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Sep 20, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: