Archinect
anchor

Any furniture designers here?

LayingOutTheDots*

Does anyone here design and make their own furniture? If so, do you just design it and employ someone else to build it or do you do both?

I am considering pursuing this as a career. Designing bespoke furniture and ironmongery. Has anyone tried this and what advice do you have?

Would be cool to see some examples of anyone's work in this field.

Oct 27, 11 5:56 pm

Design & build.

Oct 27, 11 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Really nice work in there.

Jul 10, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks!

Jul 10, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
ariana

initially, i wanted to do this

Oct 27, 11 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
LayingOutTheDots*

Miles - You have some really nice work. I like your tables in particular.

Do you make the furniture yourself? I assume you are a practising architect also? If you don't mind me asking, do you sell your pieces to clients as part of your architecture businesses and do you have your furniture business separate?

Oct 28, 11 5:53 am  · 
 · 

Thanks -- I make everything. If I don't have the particular capability (i.e. stone, metal tube fabrication, etc.) I subcontract that portion but remain responsible for design, coordination, other fabrication, delivery and installation.

Aside from an occasional commission, most of the furniture ends up on my architectural projects. I don't make a distinction between one business and another, it is all design and/or fabrication.

Oct 28, 11 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

LOL, yeah sure. You lot would just steal the designs from the "competition" and produce it yourselves.

Jul 10, 17 4:23 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Any reason for the necropost?

Genuinely curious

Jul 10, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Miles, thanks for sharing.  You have a lot of really interesting work on your website.  Love the diversity.

Jul 12, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you --

Jul 12, 17 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

here's a few things:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...

Apr 3, 18 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
mikewang

it is cool, i'd love to try

Dec 23, 18 4:30 am  · 
 · 

Made some coffee tables that can store some books you can check it out here https://www.instagram.com/anna... - I went to a metal fabricator, sent them some drawings they gave me some suggestions of how to make it even better and they did a perfect job1! Love the metal fabricators they were really professional. Then took the tables to another place to get it powder coated painted. It looks better in real life then in the photos! It was a super fun experience- I did bc I wanted some coffee tables that can store a-lot of books. The only thing is they are quite heavy bc they are steel....but it was a fun experiment and I really enjoy using them.

Dec 3, 20 6:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: