Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECTURAL MOVIE (Delicatassen)

abyssinian

On 8_25_2005 Architectural Movies
me and my buddies have started a discussion group and we have descided to watch movies twice a month and discuss them architecturally.
what movies do y'all suggest,(they dont necessarily have to be about architecture). Movies that spark interesting discussions!!!

8_25_2005 Architectural Movies

Well we have finally descided that we are going to watch "Delicatassen" tomorrow night (sept. 20, 2005) at the SPSU
camput in marietta, GA. The screening will be followed by a brief discussion.(the comments will be posted under this topic)

Those of you who live in the Atlanta area please feel free to come and join us for more info my email me at [email protected]

But the main purpose of this Forum is to open up the opportunity to discuss "Delicatassen"

Sep 19, 05 11:20 am
BOTS

Naturally it is a post-apocalyptic surrealist black comedy about the landlord of an apartment building who creates cannibalistic meals for his odd tenants (IMDB source).

There is a definate nod to Terry Gilliam's Brazill in this movie, I can't quite put my finger on it though. Maybe the intimate camera work?

One of the few films I went out and bought on VHS - it was that good.

Sep 19, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Carrot & Jeunet, awesome stuff.
Not sure if it's particularly architectural in a blade runner sense but it's a very atmospheric movie and definitely a great watch.

Sep 19, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

it's Caro not Carrot...

Sep 19, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

Delicatessen, is a great movie I saw a few years ago...
I you like French Movie and their futuristic Film Noir artistic direction...
try:

Immortal,
http://www.immortel-lefilm.com/
a blade-runner-ish movie based on the work of famous Cartoonist Enki Bilal with amazing futuristic 3d city scenes.

La Cité des Enfants Perdus,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/

I think from the same guys who did delicatessen.

you could try as well
C'est arrivé près de chez vous (I guess it has an english translation...)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103905/

a belgian film, from the Blair Witch project type...some students follow a serial killer for a video documentary...where the killer permits to criticize Corbusier and european residential developments.

Sep 19, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Get to the screening on time as the opening credits are brilliant. A continuous camera pan with the name of the person being credited rendered in some way that relates to what they do. So the name of the costume designer is embroidered on cloth, the lighting designer is spelled out in bulbs or something (I can't quite remember that one). Overall the sense of materials and claustrophobia is amazing.

The Rube-Goldberg-esque suicide machines are wonderful. The guy who raises snails and frogs - a new slant on urban farming! There is namazing view downward through the building with water...I don't want to ruin it so I won't say more.

Just an amazing movie. You may want to watch it twice.

Sep 19, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

I would also recommend another 60's French flick called 'Playtime' by director Jacques Tati where he addresses the alienating effects of the modern international style on people in a very humorous way. The sets are pretty amazing, they cost so much money at the time that they proved to be the director's demise after the movie failed commercially. A restored version of the movie was recently re-released i believe. In another movie called 'My Uncle' Tati also addressed the issues of post-war architectural modernity and its influence on people's lives.

Sep 19, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Speaking of the French, The New Wave classic "Last Year at Marienbad" tops my list along with Goddard's (english title) "Breathless", where the role of modern architecture is clearly set as a backdrop to the scrambled psyche of the modern man.

Sep 19, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

check this out: CASSHERN

Sep 19, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
noci

oh god, please stay away from casshern........ it is the WORST crap ever; totally blunt, hastily executed CG backgrounds, ludicrous story, horrid, HORRID "idoru" actors and everything else that makes japanese high budget flicks fail so baaad over the last coupla years...

i'm also wondering what makes a movie qualify as "architectural". that is, beyond the characters discussing architecture on-screen-- to me, it really boils down to whether there is a sense of the (built) environment adding to a movie's athmosphere, or being somehow related to the plot, manipulating how people behave, or symbolizing, commenting on behaviour, gestures, etc

u should watch all by ming liang tsai. how the characters relate to their environment is totally awesome, in a detached sense (tsai once described the "search for the ideal location" as one of the most difficult& crucial tasks he faces as a filmmaker);

Sep 19, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
abyssinian

lets just stick to discussing Delicatassen

Sep 19, 05 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: