Archinect
anchor

Corten steel for 3/32" model

axial753

Hello all,

can you guys give me some tips on how to imitate Corten steel for a 3/32" scale model? something i can spray on metal to create rust? what about basswood? thank you.

Sep 16, 05 4:58 pm
JohnProlly

Use watercolor paper and paint a "corten" texture... or alpha mat and do the same... it actually looks really good.

Sep 16, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

thank you. what's alpha mat?!

Sep 16, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

I think krylon still makes rust color. Spray with primer grey for good measure.
I had a friend who could do a good orange/rust/grey blendo.

ahhh the days of spray paint.

Sep 16, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

scan a piece of rusted metal...print it in color and then use as a veneer on your model...

or use spray mount on the surface of whatever material you're using on your model and sprinkle with some rust dust...or some metal shavings and let it rust

Sep 16, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

go find some really rich colored chip board, and stop worrying about making a dollhouseesque model. sorry, i just hate that type of model.

Sep 16, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
J3

hmmm....
Go to your local arts supply store...pearls, michaels, charette...and go to the "house wife" area....you know, where the fake flowers and sh!t is... anyways, they have metalic paints which you can apply a rusting agent (usually sold together, or next to it) to get that effect. Simple, cheap, adn effective.

Sep 16, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Use white museum board and point to it and call it Corten.

Sep 16, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Find something made of Corten. Scrape the rust off into a ziploc (should only take about 8 hrs--don't get caught). Spray spraymount on some chip, and lay it face down in a pile of rust scrapings.

Or, see previous post.

Sep 16, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Go find a 1967 Plymouth Valiant. Pull up the carpet on the driver's side (psgr may work, too). Find one of the rust holes & w/ some tin snips, cut out the piece of rusty sheet metal as large as you need. Don't worry that you won't find rust under the carpet...it'll be there.

Sep 16, 05 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

3/32"?

Sep 16, 05 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

i like garpike's. but for the complete opposite... if it's copper, you patina it. i can't remember what i used, i did google research and ordered 4 acidic things, mixed them into a deathly concoction. part of the success was that it ate at the tray, staining it in a pleasing way. also, what jprolly said, but ac moore has something better. it's two part stain and spray to "replicate" rust.

anyway, i have a model picture that shows both approaches. if someone explains exactly what to write in to post it, i will. oh, and how big to size the pic so i don't look like an ass

Sep 16, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
gonzo

A.D.D. - you seriously purchased acid to patina copper. Nothing works better than piss. $500/sqft residence with copper gutters/flashing, the owners wanted it “aged” before they moved in. the week before installations, unknown to the clients, we had the labor piss on everything. Perfection.

as for modeling corten- patiently opening corrugated cardboard and painting the gutts works. thickness of the cardboard determines the scale.

Sep 16, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

gonzo, buckets of cow piss would work better, that's what i was told by Dr. Jones.

Sep 17, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: