Archinect
anchor

IDP Entry Points

AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

"NCARB conditions specify that no training units may be earned prior to satisfactory completion of:

a) ...
b) the third year of a four year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to an NAAB or CACb accredited professional degree program
c) ... "

I graduated from a regular, 4 year college, majoring in architecture. I seem to be covered by "b". But I need to be sure. Calling the NCARB gets me nowhere, no one ever calls back. Clarification appreciated.

Sep 14, 05 2:25 pm
stephanie
list of accredited programs
Sep 14, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

ADD - I am having the same problem....have you gotten any other responses? i actually finished my masters, but have year + of experience in between my arch. undergrad major and my masters and i want to count those....but cant get a straight answer....am still researching....if you find out anything, can you let me know?

Sep 14, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Usually if the 4-year program is considered a "4" component of a "4+2" scenario then NCARB will approve your experience earned after your 3rd year of that program.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a program that has its own M.Arch program. If students from your school have in the past been admitted with advanced standing (directly into 2nd year) of 3 or 3.5 year M.Arch programs elsewhere then you should be able to get approval for that experience.

There's no real "final" way to find out for sure what NCARB will and won't count except to send in this experience in an employment report and see if they approve it. (If they don't, you'll get a letter stating that this is considered "early professional experience" and won't be granted IDP credit.)

I attended a 4-year bachelor program with a major in architecture and did receive credit for my IDP units earned after my 3rd year of that program.

Some advice about NCARB: you may get better responses if you email. Phone support is very poor.

Sep 14, 05 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

phone, e-mail, and threaten to tell your state board if necessary

Sep 14, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

also on another note...remember that State Boards are different sometimes than NCARB...for instance, NY State Board does not accept ANY IDP credit earned BEFORE graduation (from 5 year i know..not sure about 4/2).

also, in my case...i have finished IDP, sent in everything...got reviewed and approved by NCARB...they sent off to NY State Board and i get this phone call last week from the State Board saying that I have to wait till i have worked THREE YEARS total...even though i finished my IDP almost 6 months early.

so now i have to wait till the 15th of December (should be the 10th, but they won't accept a month unless you count to the 15th...UGH!) before i send in this other form from my boss saying i have worked for three years...

in contrast, i know alabama it does not matter about three years if your IDP record has been active for two years...and alabama will count credits earned after 3rd year of a 5 year program.

LESSON TO ALL...CHECK your local state board requirements and see if they have ANY differences from NCARB!

Sep 14, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

As far as communication with NCARB, I always found their email responses to be helpful, infinitely moreso than phone. Email them with your question, then 72 hours later forward the email again asking "Did you get this?". I never had to do that more than once.

Sep 14, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

thank you for your responses and advice. i will try the email route tomorrow.

Sep 14, 05 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: