Archinect
anchor

any tips for things to see/do in portugal??

chinoXL63

after another grueling deadline...i'm off for two weeks in portugal. me and my girlfriend fly in to porto and then plan on renting a car and driving along the coast down to lisbon and faro. other than rem's new casa de musica and siza's contemporary art museum...anybody got any other suggestions on things to see/do?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, architectural or otherwise...

Sep 12, 05 10:16 am
curt clay

the old expo '92 site in Lisbon is interesting to experience now in its desolate state.....

lots of great bldgs that have sat unused for years...

Sep 12, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

dont miss:
Matosinhos (Soutra Mora's Car Park, Siza's Pool, Siza's Teahouse)
Evora (Siza's Quinta da Malagueira)
Malveria
Setubal
Coimbra

Sep 12, 05 10:45 am  · 
 · 
ochona

sorry to correct -- but the expo 92 site is in seville. otherwise i completely concur -- it is pretty dang cool all boarded up, so to speak.

the expo 98 site in lisbon is likewise a must-see. i was there in 99 and it seemed like people were still using it, esp. the oriente train station. which, by the way, has the portuguese equivalent of wal-mart in the mall underneath.

Sep 13, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

in porto, be sure to cross the river over to gaia and have a drink at one of the places right on the bank--you get a great view of porto and eiffel's bridge. also try to visit siza's faculty of architecture and carlos ramos pavillion!

south of porto in aveiro, there's a university with various buildings by architects like siza (library and water tower), aires mateus (dining hall), diaz (residence hall), and souto de moura. it's an interesting campus, and the library is definitely worth the visit (but make sure you don't go on a sunday--it's closed!!).

north of porto is braga where there's some stuff by souto de moura, including his new football stadium, which unfortunately you can't get that close to unless you are actually watching a game...

you said you're driving down to southern portugal... if you're trying to find some cool beaches, check out sagres (the southwestern point of portugal) where there's a pretty incredible beach called BELICHE.

bom viagem!

Sep 13, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
chinoXL63

thanks for the tips people...keep em coming if you got em...i am in the office now, rendering at 5 am, and planning my itinerary in the meantime...*SIGH*

Sep 14, 05 12:18 am  · 
 · 
chinoXL63

oh yeah, any tips on cheap but decent places to stay? not just in porto, but lisbon, and anywhere and everywehre in between.

just found out about a free hip-hop party at the casa da musica...gyeeeeah!!! LL koolhaas!!

Sep 14, 05 12:23 am  · 
 · 
poster

there is a place about half way in between oporto and lisbon - Figueira da foz.. nice beachs, lots of accomadation this time of the year. easy to get to coimbra from there , and oporto and lisbon is only a couple of hours either way..
And the good thing is there is a alot to see in between places in portugal... lots of the old castles have been adapted and transformed..

Porto in a beautiful city, the coutry side north of oporto is also worth a look. heritage train ride i believe takes you through there...

Im really jelous, parents are from portugal and i havent been back there in a few years.. Hopefully this time next year ill be there

Sep 14, 05 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
poster

also , evora has a chapel built of bones (skulls and bones), worth a look -even though a little macarbe......

Sep 14, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: