Archinect
anchor

Scholarship,TA.RA, is common ?

yenafar

As i am not familiar to US univ system, is it possible to get such helps on funding m.arch in typical american univ ?? i cant figur out on univ websites who offen and to how many they give such helps ?
can i count on that ?
Any comments appreciated.

Sep 11, 05 5:19 pm
Taesung

More opportunities of that kind are available in your second year, and is something you learn more about in your first year.

Sep 11, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

a friend in the states is just returning to masters degree and working from the start as TA to help pay for it; but he is an exceptional student with years of teaching experience and real world output. I don't think that is such a common experience.

In my case i taught as TA in studio during 2nd year MArch, but it is not much money. scholarship paid for most and TA job was for fun, the money enough to buy books maybe...

anyway that position was not announced on arch school website, but rather as a vacancy on the general university web-site. you might try searching similar, or perhaps contact a prof at the school you are thinking of and see what he/she has to say.

Sep 11, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I had TA positions in 5 of my 6 semesters - sometimes more than one per semester. In first year I was lucky to get one - and it was only in a computer course. There were different levels of TA and teaching fellowships, and the pay varied accordingly. Some "course assistant" spots that involved mostly grading of test papers and homework and/or setting up projectors and computer equipment paid only about $750 per semester. Rates went up from there. Independently teaching a section of an undergrad course was worth about 6k per semester. There are some schools at which there are some full-tuition stipends available for people teaching one or more courses as grad students - but mine wasn't one of them.
TA positions were something you had to scout out somewhat on your own - there was no organized posting of them and most often the professors just invited their chosen student(s) to be their TA.

My school didn't allow grad students to live in university housing, and there were no RA positions available to grad students.

Grant/scholarship money was available both as need-based and merit-based awards, but for the most part nobody received more than 1/2 to 2/3 of their tuition - and some got much less. There were more merit-based awards available for upperclassmen and very few for first-years. Usually 1st-year merit awards were awarded by the admissions committee, somewhat as an incentive to get particularly strong candidates to choose that school over others.

Sep 11, 05 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: