Archinect
anchor

moonlighting landscape architect for tiny project?

on my way

I'm working on a retail store build-out in an old auto garage. There is a pit in the concrete floor which is about 9'x12'x5' deep. I'd like to do some kind of "garden" installation in the pit, but don't know much about the prevailing issues - such as soil types, drainage, making a box that holds water but doesn't trap it so it rots or smells bad or whatever, plants that look cool and do well indoors, so on...

The budget is small, but it could be a fun little project to do...

Please respond if you have any interest, or can suggest someone I might contact...

Thanks,

Miguel

Sep 9, 05 12:07 pm
anotherquestion

miguel, that sounds like a nice little project, too bad i have no expertise in that area. there was a thread on landscape architecture, maybe one of those people will have input?

Sep 11, 05 4:47 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

Is the pit lined with concrete or is it open to soil? In either case you need to look at the current chemical conditions of the pit as they might be too high to support any type of organic life. As far as drainage if it is open to soil below then you have no issue obviously, if it is a concrete pit and it is filled with enough soil...as long as the plants are not overwatered they should soak up water that is put into the pit and you wouldn't have to worray about a stench. Another important issue is to see how much exposure this pit has to natural light, there are shade prefering plants but even they need a little exposure once in a while. The best place to go for advice for a project like this would be a greenhouse/nursury where someone knows their stuff.

Sep 11, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
anti

where is the project located? Do you have any sketches showing the 'pit' in relation to the rest of the build out?

Sep 11, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: