Archinect
anchor

why did you chose the city you live in?

sameolddoctor

random but relevant:

"Maybe that's all family (and home) really is. A group of people that miss the same imaginary place."
From the movie 'Garden State'

Sep 8, 05 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

whore,
i like that. that was really nice. sometimes, you have a "little prince" quality about you, and it's beautiful.

Sep 8, 05 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

do you really get to chose the city?
I was rather thrust into LA by chance and it worked out like one of those arranged marriage that end well.

hey, that was until I saw New York which I am dreaming about from Philadelphia.

Sep 8, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Gesh and I thought giving my first son the middle name "John", after me, my dad, his dad, and my great grandfather's first name was a bit historical but Mr. Devlin your family takes it to a new level. That's impressive.

What's your son's name?

Sep 8, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

I'm childless

Sep 8, 05 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

read once that the hypothetical optimim human community something like a hundred people.

any more and we start killing each other.

isolation is a culture of sorts. i grew up in a farming community where outsiders are not entirely welcome, and racism can be pretty harsh. good side is the MY TOWN goodness sort of thing, neighbors helping each other out when there is a flood, doors unlocked in the winter in case someone's car breaks down and they need a shelter, everyday nice-ness. isolation makes the community strong but outsiders are just that, and treated accordingly...it's all very tribal.

still easy to see the shit when you don't live there, easy to see the good stuff when you do...

Sep 8, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

hey john,

i used to live in halifax, back in the days when i earned a living as a cook. took night courses at NSCAD and spent the days running in point pleasant or junking around the coast. was heaven for a prairie boy. if life hadn't intervened would probably still be there.

fantastic place.

Sep 8, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

el jeffe i'll meet ya at the mineshaft(not a gay bar) in madrid, nm

Sep 8, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I followed my parents to ATL, went to college here, got a great job & just kinda hung around. Got another job that basically put me on-the-road for about 7 yrs, so I was unofficially living around the USA & not ATL.

It's a nice area, but frankly I'm tired of it & am ready to move on....anybody wanna buy a house?

Sep 8, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
geno

Vancouver, B.C.

because when i look out my apartment window i see mountains, ocean, people on the street openly selling pot, the United States, and if i squint: the largest nude beach in north america.

Sep 8, 05 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

start your architectural school of mystery there mm.

Sep 8, 05 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

When I start the Arch Skool of Mystery I ain't tellin' nobody where it's at. The way to get in will be to actually find it.

Sep 8, 05 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

..speaking of nude beaches. The place I may end up, way South Brasil, has much to offer in this category. No offense to Vancouver, a grat place, but I'd rather see tanned sunbathers through my binoculars.

Hey Vado, there's a geographical hint for you.

Sep 8, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

architecture school inspired by "where in the world is carmen san diego?"

Sep 8, 05 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

once again Vado: LOL, buddy.

Sep 8, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i moved to boise, idaho for my thesis year of school for a professor, and to go to the urban design branch campus.

i've stayed here because i like my job, the rent is cheap, there is enough music and art to get at least a little bit of culture, people are nice, i like being able to walk to work and run through the foothills on my lunch break, you can drive any direction for 45 minutes (tops) and be in the middle of nowhere, there isn't a whole lot of amazing architecture which breeds desire to change things, people like to ride their bikes here, and it isn't hard to get to a city.

i want to move to a big, exciting place...but boise is nice, albeit lacking at times.

Sep 9, 05 12:15 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

whoo nice answers everybody. i have to go back and re-read that.
i was about to run out of juice...first week march 1 put put put pbbbbbbbt

richard, nice rome description, how do you remember which way's up?

im thinking of austria next. but. where. will. i find. the beach>?S?>??

Sep 9, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
FRO

vado-

you've been to the Mineshaft?!?!?!? I lived in Madrid (NM) for almost three years after arch. school- still one of my favorite places I've ever known.

Sep 9, 05 2:35 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I'll comment +q.
The word for the families up there is "Mexican" - call them "Mexican"

- - - they like it! (well - not really)

sooner or later you, and they, will realize that the proper word is "Mexican"

The "Spanish" description you instrumentally reiterated is - well - good propaganda - and a good way to piss off the Indians (not that there's anything wrong with it).

Take care

Sep 9, 05 2:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

did i forget to mention memphis
home of elvis and the ancient greeks
do i smell do i smell home cooking?
its only the river only the river

find a city find myself a city to live in

Sep 9, 05 7:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

been on the turquiose trail many times my friend.

Sep 9, 05 7:28 am  · 
 · 
French

Hey Medit
Just to honor your response, not to keep on the side discussion started somehow by me (apologies). I'm all for regional particularities. Actually, I was in a region of France (I'm not going to give names anymore) this summer that's the only one that has been able to struggle for it's own particularities, language, culture and so on. unfortunately, there are two flaws to their succes: their economy relies only on tourism, and they had to use violence to achieve their goal. And they are notoriously anti-everything that's not "from their land", including homos, niggers, arabs, and so on.
I'm with you on the struglle for regional identity. I'm not from paris, and I've proudly managed to keep alive my southern accent, which is probably the only thing that make me sound like somebody differnet from the others. But I'm just thinking seriously about moving to Barcelona, and the feeling I have from my family there and my various friends and experiences there is that it's not going to be easy, mostly because business is harder there for somebody who wasn't born there, and the best way for Catalans to know is through language. I'm didn't mean to start a discussion on the pro's and cons of the Catalan's attitude, I just wanted an insight point of view on the reality of these difficulties. And, sorry to offend you, but I think the pride of Catalans makes them annoying sometimes. It doesn't help me from loving them (their are my family after all) but I just think it's too bad that you need to have a default for every quality(not sure about the correctness of that last sentence). Peace
Bon dia

French

PS: if my name here is French, it is only to make fun of the pride of my fellow citizens. If we where living in a better world, we wouldn't even need any nations...

Sep 9, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

the turquiose trail makes me want to get a ducati.

+q - there's more here in NM: jasoncross, dazed and confused, arri, suzmudpud...and others in absentia....

Sep 9, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 

Lets do it lets meet somewhere, the Mineshaft in Madrid is a pretty cool place, plus a beautiful drive....

Sep 9, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Why did you choose the city you live in?

Perhaps we can discuss the key criteria one uses to define the choices on offer? Obliviously (or maybe not) there are certain givens such as moral integrity within any given city. I’ve rated mine but there are sure to me more factors I haven’t thought of and not all aspects refer to my current situation.

1. Redevelopment and urban investment (good for the leisure and work aspects of life).
2. Diverse ethnic and social mix
3. Historic urban core
4. Inclusive democratic society
5. Proximity to natural ‘wilderness’ (coastal, highland, rural)

Sep 9, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

Right out of school my wife and I were moving to Boulder. I had a job lined up. We decided to visit her sister in LA prior to moving to Colorado. Came for two weeks, stayed for ten years. I was sucked into the vortex. Stayed for the education, working on my exit now.

Looks like I will be working in Bermuda for a while...

My parents always moved to the place were they found the best job. I tend to find a place I like to live and make it work. not quite sure whick way works better.

Sep 9, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

work to live or live to work?

Sep 9, 05 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

Austin -- because it feels like home.

Sep 9, 05 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Orlando, for professional opportunity, primarily.

This job found me, I didn't seek it out...actually, at the time, I was looking for something else...

Nevertheless, now that I'm here, it's working out quite well. There is plenty to learn from this epitomy of the "contemporary American city". Many of the problems that plague other suburban non-places are prevailant here...nothing like living on the front lines...

Otherwise, so called high-culture is sparce compared to metroplitan areas, but will do (MC Escher currently on exhibit at the OMA < Orlando Museum of Art, plenty of local music venues, just saw Common in concert last week...for 12 bucks!)...

Sep 12, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

"love just one nation, and the whole world you divide" -Michael Franti (spearhead)

There is always a desire to protect your own, that's natural. But raging patriotism at any level always frustrates me. That level where you ignore reason, ignore your own and your lands faults, ignore the similarities and magnify the differences, it's just ridiculous.

------------------

live in cincinnati now. left home due to itchy feet and the sweeping tides of fate brought me here i suppose. certainly won't be the last place I live. spain sounded nice...

Sep 12, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I'm with SPearhead/SH on this one. RC should be no more chastised than Medit, IMO...

Sep 12, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

no love for the suburbs? :D

Sep 12, 05 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: