Archinect
anchor

Humanitarian Architectural Firms

HiroProtagonist

I am looking for a firm, preferably on the east coast, even more preferably in the PA,NJ,NY region that practices a lot of Humanitarian architecture. Right now I while away my hours designing stupid banks all day while dreaming about doing something that will actually better mankind. In light of recent events i feel even more of a need to get out of my corporate hell hole. A firm that does a lot of work with the homeless or a design build firm would be places of high interest to me. Any suggestions?

Sep 6, 05 9:42 pm
ElTomas
http://www.architectureforhumanity.org/
Sep 7, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 
4arch

there are plenty of people out there doing this sort of thing, just don't expect to make a living off of it.

Sep 7, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
HiroProtagonist

I belong to the philadelphia chapter of Architecture for humanity, unfortunatly we are not that big yet. I feel though that there has to be some way of making a living like this. Im not saying a good living, but enough to get by.

Sep 7, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

bryan bell look'em up

Sep 7, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
4arch

from what I understand, not even Cameron Sinclair, director of AFH, is making enough to get by. this isn't the kind of thing you can just jump into without any prior experience and have it be your main living. trust me, I've tried.

my suggestion would be to start doing some volunteer work while keeping your day job. get your career to the point where you have enough education and experience to get a teaching position at a university with a strong community design program or gain enough credibility in the volunteer world that people will donate the money you need for your efforts, including enough to pay yourself a modest salary.

Sep 7, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.adpsr.org/
Sep 7, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
HiroProtagonist

Thanks for the advise bryan4arch. The teaching idea is pretty much exactly in line with what i was thinking.

Sep 7, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: