Archinect
anchor

Best Software for Unfolding 3D Object to CNC

wurdan freo

Any one have thoughts about this work process. I'm looking for the best software to model metal panels for shop drawings. In theory the panels are created so that the elevations are easily manipulated. Each panel is a custom size and then for fabrication, the panel is unfolded so that a 2D CNC cutting process can occur. The sheet metal is cut, then bent up on four sides. I've been asked to explore this in revit, but I'm thinking Rhino is the way to go. Any comments/insight?

Oct 18, 11 6:56 pm
LITS4FormZ

I don't see how Revit could complete this task anywhere near as efficiently as Rhino. Stick with Rhino, you'll be happy you did. 

Oct 18, 11 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i would think rhino might be easiest, though you should be able to do it in revit.  you could consider inventor as well.

Oct 18, 11 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

pepakura

Oct 18, 11 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

also autocad inventor does this.

Oct 18, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I was thinking about inventor, but someone else mentioned Solidworks. I imagine Pro E would be a candidate as well. Anyone have specific experience with any of these softwares? Which would be easier to learn, Inventor, Solidworks, Pro E?

Oct 18, 11 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

well, any of the mid-range MCAD packages will do this.  but inventor is integrated into the autodesk pipeline and the navigation and GUI are more closely related to the other AD products than the others you mention.  so if going the MCAD route, i would probably go with inventor.

having said that, rhino's workflow for this stuff is just so easy and helpful if you already know it and grasshopper or paneling tools, I would choose it over all of the other options.

if you just want to try a different MCAD tool, I'd suggest Solidworks, as it is widely considered the best of the mid-range MCAD tools, and by it self is a great marketable skill to have.

Oct 18, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Thanks jmang. I appreciate it. 

Oct 18, 11 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Is the idea for using Revit because you are getting .rvt's from someone else?  I would imagine if it's rather boxy, you could figure something out in Revit, but for flexibility, you would want to stick with Rhino or some of the other power tools.

Are the develop surface tools actually what you want?  Or do you want to generate the geometry from just the front face of the panel?  I think that may be an important distinction.

Also, if this is some sort of firm-wide protocol, you may want to check out the guys at case-inc.com, this is kinda what they do.

Oct 19, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 
kunal.ghevaria

If you'd like to take into account the material thickness etc, you might want to take a look at Lamina.

http://laminadesign.com/projmain.html

It hasn't been updated in a while, but it still rocks.

Also try the unfolding commands in Rhino. You can also examine surfaces for curvature and determine where the seams should be based on that.

Dec 9, 11 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: