Archinect
anchor

How Important is trigonometry + calculus ?

DDWLDLF

The reason I ask... I am studying and working towards my AAS in architectural technology at a local community college. One of the CC's don't require trig and calc. Only requires three math credits and is satisfied by as little as MAT102 or as far as MAT187. Another Comm College here requires MAT151 & MAT187. So I'd have to take everything leading up to trig. That's 3 more math classes. Is it worth it? Or am I safe going to the other CC that will let me take the less complex math credits? Incase anyone's wondering, I'm talking about Phoenix college and Scottsdale community college. PC requires more math and SCC will let me graduate by merely finishing MAT102 I'm not great at math. In fact, it's a bit of a struggle for me, but I do ok when I really apply myself. It is clear that PC has a more difficult program. But my question to the experienced members here... How important is it that I take these harder classes for an AAS? When I go for a Bach, there's no way around trig and calc, but for now, should I go the harder route? Or deal with those when I absolutely have to... B.arch? Thanks.

Oct 16, 11 5:31 pm

i use trig functions on a (fairly) regular basis. calculus, not so much. you'll get all you really *need* in the statics/structures courses in school, but it's HUGELY helpful to already have a facility with the basic concepts. 

Oct 16, 11 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

You will need math through college algebra + trigonometry  and at least one semester in physics for architecture taking calculus would not hurt but you will only use a really small part of it in structures mostly just trig. at least do math through trig and a college physics is my advise 

Oct 16, 11 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i assume that trig and algebra are easier at the cc level, if you have to take it anyway than take it there.

trig is useful in structures, no reason for calculus in my experience

Oct 16, 11 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

trig is also good when building physical models...

Oct 16, 11 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
DDWLDLF

Thanks all.

So in other words, it'd be a bad move getting my AAS at a college that doesn't require trig or even college algebra...?

OR

Get the less complex AAS then take MAT151 & Trig and transfer to a B.Arch program?

Really appreciate all your input.

Oct 17, 11 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

The ins and out of calculus aren't really that important- strangely in engineering as well.

You may need to know how to use a handful of equations, but what is important in calculus is learning how to visualize change. If given a handful of objects that are all moderately interrelated and i tweak the first one, conceptually understanding how the fourth and fifth ones will change as a result is a good thing to keep in your back pocket.

For example, if i change a facade from a curtain wall to brick assembly, it will also change: transparency, lightness, expression of an idea, thermal properties, internal lighting requirements... the list goes on. The core concept behind the two is the same, and that is what you should be getting out of those courses.

Oct 17, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

my student's are using trig this week to survey our site.

Oct 17, 11 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Trig and Analytic Geom. comes in handy for writing parametric expressions for families in Revit and other parametric programs - I really think that architecture students need to have a thorough working knowledge of geometry and trig is part of that. Calculus is great for spline based surfaces for calculation of continuity between two adjoining curved surfaces that must be continuous - otherwise, there will be a noticeable Boundary/Mach band where the two surfaces adjoin - but are not continuous. Trig is good for doing calculations involved with solar angular incident aspects of a design -from computing daylight, thermal gain and or loss and photovoltaic capacities.

And  it is necessary for Physics and Structures.

Oct 17, 11 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Math is good for your soul :)

Oct 18, 11 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Trig and calculus are used to size beams, columns, floor slabs, etc. in architecture, i.e., the "structures" classes Stephen Ward referred to above.  At the M. Arch. program that I attended, we used nothing more than basic algebra to do all that. 

So, I would contact the structures professors at the B. Arch programs you intend to apply to, and see what kind of classes would be beneficial for the way they teach structures there.

Oct 18, 11 10:13 am  · 
 · 
johnszot

trig - v important.

calculus - not so much.

Oct 19, 11 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Trig and calculus are used to size beams, columns, floor slabs, etc. in architecture, i.e., the "structures" classes Stephen Ward referred to above.  At the M. Arch. program that I attended, we used nothing more than basic algebra to do all that.

When I have my engineer hat on, we don't typically use calculus to do any of those calculations- except in the most extreme of cases. 95% of it is algebra and trigonometry.

I use calculus concepts far more when I am in architect mode- surface normal vectors, cross products, complex surface alignment. All of the intermediate to advanced 3D functions in grasshopper? Vector calculus and trigonometry based. Whether or not you realize it or not, all of the high-end 3d modeling is calculus based. And not the easy stuff, either.

Oct 19, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

They are very different, not sure why you are lumping them together.  Also, at least when I was in school, there was precalc too (between both), which was a full semester.

Take them at the easiest level you can, confirm credits will transfer.  Calculus is not needed.  

Oct 19, 11 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Token AE

I took a 3D graphics course  for Industrial designers course once - we wrote C# code with calculus equations to create Bezier Surfaces for car design - This knowledge is very useful when performing advanced conceptual design where you need to develop procedural algos to generate useful surfaces.

Oct 19, 11 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Agreed.

If you reference my above post, it looks like I may have benefitted from a few more English classes instead!

Oct 19, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Token AE -

If you reference my above post, it looks like I may have benefitted from a few more English classes instead!

corrected to: (you instead of I, and  corrected a misspelled benefitted to benefited) and may have benefited to would have benefited.

corrected sentence:

if you reference my above post, it looks like you would have benefited from a few more English classes instead!

Oct 20, 11 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Building

I am sure I am biased because I started off in engineering, but calculus is important if you want more than a surface level knowledge of structural calculations.  Most of the math you use is just algebra and trig, but much of it has been derived from calculus.  And just to reinforce what others are saying, if you are interested in scripting, the more math you know, the better.  At its core, scripting is pure math.  You can get by without much calculus knowledge, but it is just a class, why limit yourself?

Oct 20, 11 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Not one mention of statistics course? For real?

For instance: There are 32,542.5 unemployed architects applying for 5 positions listed on Archinect. How many ways are you fucked from Sunday?

a) Potato,

b) I'm moving to China!,

c) #occupyparkbench.

Oct 20, 11 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: