Archinect
anchor

Masters in Architecture vs. Masters in Environmental Design

Speaking to an industrial designer at Art Center today, he asked what I love about architecture, I said I love creating spaces that people can interact in, then explained a few of my projects. 

He then told me that Architecture was not the creative outlet I wanted but rather Environmental Design. Trying to look for the distinction online and it is not possible it meshes the 2 together and suggests 'architecture AND environmental design.' 

What is the difference? This is key so I can choose what program to apply to.

T H A N K Y O U

Oct 15, 11 4:36 am

there are dozens of definitions of environmental design. that ID guy was probably talking about something that has nothing to do with the environment (read: ecology & sustainability) and everything to do with creating immersive experiences inside spaces (read: exhibit design & themed restaurants). Then there are a few folks from the interactive technology disciplines creating spaces that are interactive - like Charles Renfro (the best known of them).

Now a graduate architecture degree will enable you to become licensed as an architect, an MFA in environmental design/ID will not. There are limits to a career if you don't get licensed. For a while, several architecture schools have been playing with game theory and creating games - not sure who is doing this anymore, but worth looking into.

don't know any arch programs with dual degree options in industrial design/environmental design. MIT's media lab and NYU's ITP program are the cutting edge when it comes to interactive design for spaces/places - both are very hard to get into.

good luck!

Oct 15, 11 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

vs......

i'd go with option C.

Oct 17, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
anjalipatel

haha decided to go with architecture thanks for your input :)

Oct 22, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: