Archinect
anchor

Lame

Hasselhoff

So I often use Flamingo for Rhino to do renders throughout the semester since I don't have to export the model to something else. I save that for finals. But anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to speed up the renders (they are pretty slow). In my web hunt, I found that Flamingo does not use the power of high end video cards...only the CPU. How lame is that? I emailed Bob McNeel to see if V2 would support it or not, alas, it won't. I wish Brazil wasn't going to be $982349834. I hate exporting from Rhino to Max. NURBS to polygons gets messed up a lot and shadows look weird. ARGH

Aug 27, 05 1:43 pm
job job

did McNeel respond? I've sent suggestions to indicate control point weight (by colour, numbers comme maya's subd's) and release 4 ignored me.

you can export igs to max or maya - i agree that nothing looks worse than a detailed image where the a curving floor and wall have gaps due to tessellation. [Be aware however that nurbs don't render - something to do with the math - they have to be broken into faces]

Make sure to use the default setting when you export the igs. This way any trimmed surfaces will remain trimmed (otherwise they'll import as untrimmed surfaces)

this way, you can use both your intenseron processorizers!

Aug 27, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Well one of his henchmen responded and said that future releases will not use video card support. It makes sense as the software is designed to run on average machines. But it just sucks to have to export to get a fast, good render. Flamingo can do nice renders, it just takes forever. I can render something in Max with radiosity before Flamingo will even finish calculating the radiosity. I will say that my workstation with Quadro is much more stable when rendering with Flamingo than my laptop with a Radeon 9600 (could also be the RAM and single processor though). WEAK!

I've dumped weird curves into Max and I get all of these gross tessilated shadows. You're right. That is the worst. It's a nice smooth surface in Rhino, but then becomes turd in Max. ARGH!

Aug 27, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Are you aware that the video card does not have anything to do with the render speed? Think about a renderfarm - none of the slaves need anything but the onboard video (on the mother board, and that's only so you can start up windows). It's the processors (cpus) that do ALL of the rendering.
Therefore, the Flamingo is using what it's supposed to.

Having a 3.6 dual machine with a Quadro won't render any faster than a 3.6 dual with a Gefore II. The video card only makes it so you can see things on your monitor.

Max, VRay, Final Render, Brazil, etc., do not use graphic cards to render, either. If you own max, it wouldn't seem that it'd be hard to buy one of the plugins. I'd consider waiting until Vray and Final Render release their latest versions, which will be standalone versions where you buy the 'connections' to different software (so, theoretically, you could have one copy of Vray that you use for Max and Rhino, have to wait and see how they do it).

BUT in the near future, gpus (Graphic Processing Units - I think) will do the rendering. nvidia is pursuing this with their Gelato software, but it's not in the near future (although I believe you can buy the software, it's outrageously expensive).

Aug 27, 05 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

Get Maxwell Render plug-in. its slow as fuck but does great renderings with almost no effort. Go Download it, if your a student you shouldn't be paying for softwear

Aug 28, 05 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: