Archinect
anchor

Processorizers

Hasselhoff

Is anyone out there using dual Opterons in their workstation? I have a question about your processor temps. I think my monitors are wrong because it's saying the chips run about 60 C within a few minutes of booting. That seems way too hot to me. But the system is rock stable and the case feels cool. Yet the temps hardly go up after a rendering session. I'm using 2-244s and a Tyan mobo. My power supply has two fans, I have the approved AMD heatsinks, a fan in the front, two exhausts in the back and I use round cabling inside. Anyone got some info? Thanks.

Aug 26, 05 5:28 pm
sameolddoctor

hi hasselhoff...i remember you asking questions about what system to build about an year back.
good to know your opteron system is holding up well.

My system (also an opteron system) has 2 246s and it is rock solid uptil now. AMDs do tend to run a little hotter though. I have a MSI mobo and the system monitor tool tells me it the chips are running at 62 C each. The system is running at a cool 30C . The utility tells me that the max. temp is 80C for the processors, so 62 is no reason to worry. Talking about fans, my system has one intake fan in the front, two in the back (excluding that of the power supply). Since it was pretty warm here in LA, i had another small blower fan pointed at the front intake for better ventilation.

I assume you have already downloaded the system utilities provided by Tyan, so there should be a way you can see the maximum tempreture there too.

Aug 26, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I had talked to my friend about it, and the IT guy at school. They both seemed to think I was fine. i just wanted to see if anyone with a similar system was having the same results.

Aug 26, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: