Archinect
anchor

adobe illustrator question

mn

i wish adobe programs were more intuitive for me...
i am trying to create ultra thin, light lines- the line segment tool only allows me to create lines at .05, is there another way of doing this?
also how do i modify the margins so my document doesn't get cut off every time i print.
thanks.

Aug 25, 05 12:42 pm
e

.05 of a point? that is very, very thin line. that won't even print.

Aug 25, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

what e said. ^^

To increase the page size you need to do that in document setup, and there's a little icon in the lower half of the toolbar pallete that looks like a page that you drag around to show you what will be in the boundaries of the printing area... that sounds confusing, but find that icon, and drag it around, you'll figure it out.

Aug 25, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
mn

trust me, you can see the lines when they print.
well how would you create a series of lines that printed very light and thin?
i am trying to recreate the look of graph paper.
thanks

Aug 25, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

maybe try increasing the transparency? That would make them appear lighter.

Aug 25, 05 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

or changing the color to a light grey?

Aug 25, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

can you not type in 00 for your linewidth? or is there a hairline option? (that might be freehand, I can't remember) I don't have illustrator at work, so I can't check it here.

Aug 25, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

jordan and snarkitect make good recs. although, if you are trying to professionally print it, the line will not hold. a laser printer is a different story though.

Aug 25, 05 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

e, you are referring to a .05 line? or a grey/semi-transparent line?

Aug 25, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

with regards to professionally printing, i was referring to a .05 line. when you offset print four color process, the ink is laid down in a pattern of dots. the thinner a line is, the more difficult it becomes to hold that line. specing a pantone color with yield greater control. in the same thinking, the lighter something is or screening a color, the more the dot pattern opens up. stochastic printing will yeild more control thus you can achieve finer detail because the dot pattern is finer and irregular, but you will pay more for it.

Aug 25, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you can try scaling it up maybe to 200% still using a 0.05pt lineweight and then printing it at half size. that might work. or it might just make a really crappy looking aliased line. or it might just disappear

Aug 25, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

wow - we're all so anal

Aug 25, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
brendtoconnell

To recreate the look of graph paper...which is what your looking for.
A friend of mine was trying to do the same thing. But I need to know what type of Adobe your using--- Photoshop or Illustrator?
In Illustrator there is a quick graph tool. Its almost like a window that you can click and drag and then scale the lines within to .05 or whatever size.
If your using photoshop to create look of graph paper, use your horizontal and vertical guide lines(turn on guides) and (turn on rulers). Snap your guides to help create a scale grid. Save that grid as a seperate layer and then you can underlay or overlay that layer on top of whatever your document is.
Bet that sounded complex. Not sure--- hope that will help??

Aug 25, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

illustrator (in the title)

"...what type of Adobe your using..." > you're

"seperate" = separate

Aug 25, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
mn

thanks everyone,

Aug 25, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

bah, just say screw it and have fun:

grab a shape tool, start drawing, and before you let go of the mouse button, press and hold the tilde key (next to the 1)

wheeeeeeee!

Aug 25, 05 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

why use four color process at all? just use a single spot color and mi the ink with some base and then its transparent...offset, serigraph...either way.

Aug 25, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: