Archinect
anchor

Google earth...please post ideas to look at.

Gotan

This software is quite amazing...now we can tour some architectural gems all around the world
but unfortunately some pictures are out of date...
Forum Barcelona from Herzog is still under construction
The same for Ghery in Cambridge

Any interesting place to see from above?

Some places I ''went''
- Barcelona Pavillon of Mies in Barcelona (hard to find)
- Sagrada Familia
- Forbidden City in Beijing
- Sphink in Cairo
- Kasbah in Tanger
- Paris...all around
- Ground Zero
- Epcot Center

Still looking for Tikal in Guatemala...

Any other great spots to look at?
Please post ideas...

Aug 25, 05 12:15 pm
archoholic

How do you make 3D feature look transparent like this?

Aug 25, 05 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ron champ
chandagar
bangladesh capital by kahn
salk institute
bilbao
vitra factory

Aug 25, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

WOw!!
I didn't know you could do that
LA in 3d is great!
But no clue yet how to add transparencies...

Aug 25, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

I'm trying to figure out if Bagdad on Google Earth is in a War State or not...is Saddam still in office?

Aug 25, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I've noticed the photos are a tad dated.
A project I worked on - built in 2002 - is just underway in the photo.
So would be early spring 2002.
Atleast in my neck of the woods.

Great wall of China
I looked for Ayers rock in Australia and could't find it.
Pyramids are good.
The palms thing in Dubai is not underway.
I looked at Baghdad - pretty calm.
The arch in 3d in St. Louis is pretty funny - it's just a big block.
I guess they couldn't get under it.
Grand Canyon in 3d is wild.
I found my car - it's yellow (easy to find).

Good stuff that Google Earth.
It's addictive.

Aug 25, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JG

The border between Mexico and Texas is fascinating especially in the area of El Paso.

Another cool thing is to turn on Keyhole BBS on the left side. It gives you user annotated balloons highlighting areas (Crawford Ranch, Seinfelds House, etc) with links to forums.

Aug 25, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

3D version of London for Google earth might be here soon.!!!
digitally distributed environments

Sep 27, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

quebec land-settlement patterns along the st lawrence
new orleans
the netherlands
the sahara
dallas-fort worth airport
mexico city

Sep 27, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

dates on photos vary. we have a project that's almost finished and the google earth photo is only at most 2-3 months old... whereas the pictures of my college are at least 3-4 years old.

what's fun is trying to identify as closely as you can the date it was taken based on construction, foliage, etc. i figured out my school was takeon on a saturday in the spring as there was a lacrosse game going (almost always on saturdays, and the faculty lot was empty)

Sep 27, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

With sketchup.com
Now you can even import models in Google Earth...and show off with it in presentation...

didn't find out yet how to correctly position it at it's right GPS position...

Anyone knows where to find those ''aliens inscriptions''...crop circles etc..??

Sep 27, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

my boss and i were looking at nazca, peru just this afternoon after lunch but we couldn't see much, not very clear.

Sep 27, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i've been dreaming about this day...

i like their disclaimer
"WARNING -- due to the sheer fun-factor of these two products, your work productivity may decrease significantly with the usage of this beta."

Sep 27, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ericharch

Check out Area 51. Yes, it really exists. Type this isto the search bar: 37.24, -115.81

Then to the left, you can see the hundreds of craters from the nuclear bomb test sites. There are tons of other weird/interesting military-esque things in the Nevada desert. Turn on Keyhole BBS to guide you.

Sep 27, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

posting idea:
set GE to new york and select destination to los angeles. go up to 25000 ft, just like you are traveling in your private jet, and adjust speed to 5-6 hours. briefly circle around your favorite places to check it out. yes sure you can smoke in your own private jet and pump CAD but pretend you are going to your new project's job site, like i did.
this morning i started to get going to bejing from los angeles. still on pacific ocean and spotted gilligans island. not much more. i think i am going to sleep until pilot wakes me up over kamchatka to see some urbanization projects.
believe it or not, i have to catch marakkesh express tomorrow night.
zum zum zum..

Sep 27, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

red square -- moscow
just SW of the "thumbtack" is lenin's tomb

Sep 27, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

maybe we could find osama?

Sep 27, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig
http://www.googleearthing.com/

more GE time wasters, look for hours and try to find the secret location.

Sep 27, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ludwig

This is a Google Map actually but fun anyhow.
if you dig straight down where would you come out?
http://www.digtootherside.cjb.net/

Nov 29, 05 9:07 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

if you want extreme 3D, look up the city of La Paz, Bolivia

Nov 29, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 
wilday

This site has a lot of oddities, and you can browse by country or state.

http://perljam.net/google-satellite-maps/

Nov 29, 05 11:53 am  · 
 · 
adso

Bumppety McBumpbump

May 10, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
tworings

this is a website that links google maps to u.s. presidential campaign contributions. enter a zip code and click "generate map" (it sometimes takes a few minutes). it uses google maps, so you don't eben need google earth.

following the dollars

May 10, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
vman

if your interested in checking out Burning Man, try searching gor Gerlach, NV.
Head a little west of town and you'll find Black Rock City...

May 10, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In looking at Cincinnati, it appears the Ohio River was flooded at the time the photos were taken. Interesting stuff.

May 10, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

I checked out the nuclear blast test craters to the west of Area 51...the largest one was 1,400 feet in diameter! One can only imagine how big the crater left behind by the 700 ton test blast in June will be!

May 10, 06 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
assbackward

Ryan- The biggest crater at the Nevada Test Site is the Sedan crater. It was part of an experiment in nuclear-bomb earth moving. The idea was that we could use hydrogen bombs to excavate large and deep craters very quickly and easily. This was part of Edward Teller's quest to justify his invention of the H-bomb by putting it to civil engineering work after he realized how he'd created the most evil, destructive weapon imaginable.

May 10, 06 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

the pompidou looks cool from space as well

May 11, 06 1:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

*bump* Playing around with Google Earth right now because it's fun and I'm bored...

Has anybody taken a look at Pyongyang, North Korea? It's the creepiest thing. Fairly modern infrastrcture, lots of wide boulevards, a few expressways, some highway tunnels through hills, bridges over the river, etc.... And hardly any cars at all. Just block after block of bare pavement. In addition, everything look is in shades of brown and gray. How depressing.

May 18, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 

just followed tworings' link. pretty interesting. my zip code is something like 90% dem. the adjacent zip code is 60% republican. that's less than a mile away!

May 18, 06 7:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Surprisingly, my zip code is only 55% to 45% Dems to Repubs. Of course the Repubs gave 60% of the money given though.

On a side note, when you enter into a certain tax bracket, do they automatically send you a Republican party membership card or something? Humph.

I wish Google Earth had better pictures of Scotland (and that Falkirk Wheel!!!)

May 18, 06 10:26 am  · 
 · 
AP
edged

by the Repubs in my general area, although in my zip code alone, the dems prevail!

May 18, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
AP
edged

by the Repubs in my general area, although in my zip code alone, the dems prevail!

May 18, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
AP

damnit!

May 18, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
jwo

living in gin-

yeah i love looking at pyongyang. it's nuts, it looks so desolate. did you see that giant stadium on an island in the middle of the river? i think it's concrete but it looks like it will collapse at any time

my favorite place to look is mexico city. it's gotta be so crowded there. the streets are actually pretty narrow but they build on their blocks like 8 deep.

May 18, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

there's also that hugeass hotel that never got finished in pyongyang

May 18, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: