Archinect
anchor

Silk screening onto glass

JordantHarris

Does anyone here have any experience with this? I was going to attempt to try something like this for a personal project soon. What's the best way to transfer images onto glass?

Aug 23, 05 12:51 pm
e

are you trying to do this yourself? there are probably a handful of vendors in your area that can do it and it wouldn't cost that much.

Aug 23, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

yeah, I would like to do it myself if at all possible. It's a very small project.

Aug 23, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

not sure about it. i've done a small run of brandy snifters for a client. i think the vendor charge $200 to print 2 colors on 24 glasses.

i have a gocco that i use for small runs of cards. i think they can etch on glass. not sure about screen printing on it. dig around on that site or see if you can find other products like gocco.

Aug 23, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

i helped with a mock-up panel at work where we got a pattern laser cut into a giant vinyl sticker, (i think any sign making company can do this) and then put it on glass to simulate a fritted pattern. it turned out looking really cool. it probably wouldn't look as good with stand-alone images but the process was fairly cheap and simple and yeilded a nice product.

Aug 23, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

how cheap is cheap? i've got a few personal projects that i'd like to do that requires these transparent stickers that i can print onto. i'm not sure if it's best at this point to use an outside printer or order the materials online and print them off myself and construct it.

anyone know of a place where i can get plexiglass tubes for relatively cheap? they need to be about 4" to 18" in diameter....?

i'd probably think glass etching is the best way to transfer an image onto glass. that or this lovely little backlit sticker thing.

Aug 23, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

That's a pretty cool little gadget. I might have to invest in one. I don't think it would work for what I have in mind though. Thanks for your suggestion. I think for my purposes I could mask it all off with tape and cut a stencil out with a razor. I feel like there has to be an easier way though.

Aug 23, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

I definately thought of getting it printed on vinyl, and if I can't figure out how to do it on my own, I probably will do that. I'll have to check on the prices. There are a few vinyl sign companies close to me that seem to specialize in printing graphics to affix to the back windows of large trucks. You know the type that feature such slogans as "git-r-done". I bet they'd be reasonable.

Aug 23, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i've done the same as batiment. i think i paid about 20 for one color art 15"x3"

jordan, yeah i didn't think that would work for your situation but i bet there are products like it for printing on glass.

Aug 23, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

Yeah, I'm sure there probably are. I'll have to see if I can find one. The piece of glass I'm working with is going to be around 2'x4' most likely.

Aug 23, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

hmmm, that is probably too big of a piece of glass for any cheap product that would allow you to do it yourself unless most of the area of the art was a pattern.

a smooth vinyl does look pretty good if done right and on a smooth vinyl. i think you can also spec pms colors for a small additional charge.

Aug 23, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

What I plan on doing (tentatively. Things change as the process goes along of course) is printing or affixing this design to the bottom of the glass then coating over it with paint. it will take a lot of coats, but the end effect should be when you flip the glass over (to use for a table top) you'll have the design in black against whatever color you chose to paint. But you're right, it all depends on the nature of what I want printed.

Aug 23, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

in my searches i've found products similar to this
http://www.instaoffice.com/Front-Print-Back-Lit-Film-Paper.0273V441.0.7.htm

however i don' tknow if my budget would allow for that.

Aug 23, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

I'm thinking I'll use this picture of good ole' clint from magnum force.

clint

Of course it will all be in two values. just solid black and solid white, no gradation.

Aug 24, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you can screen print into glass without any problems. You can use water based, or even house paint...just add retarder or floetrol to the housepain to extend it while printing.

Emulsion and access to the sun is all you need to burn your screens and you can get a decent sized screen, maybe 3 x 4, for less than a hundred bucks.

those gocco printers are cool, but print rather small.

Aug 26, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: