Archinect
anchor

three amatuer questions

jonchitect

I have just started using 3ds max 7 and maya 6.0 and have 4 basic questions, any help would be much appreciated

1) On both maya and 3ds max I cant figure out how to print/plot a scene, where do I start?
2)In maya, is there a tool similar to the "aec extended" tool used in 3ds to create walls and railings and such? It seems like all the objects in maya are manipulated primitives or surfaces that all begin at the orgin
3). In 3ds max how can I select only a face or edge, vertice, etc. to transform an object

Aug 21, 05 6:55 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

1. you don't. you render an image, then print that from wherever you like.

Aug 21, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

First could you learn how to spell "amateur"?

Aug 21, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

3. when you apply a modifier, look on the panel on the right for 'select sub-object'. then you can specify vertices, edges, etc.

Aug 21, 05 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

agfa8x,

thank you, when you say to, "print from wherever", do you mean that I can import a scene to photoshop or acad and plot from there?

Aug 22, 05 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

render panel > save file / file name > select location / file type > RENDER

navigate to location where file was saved

open file in photoshop or the like
and / or
import to autocad or the like

Aug 22, 05 4:44 am  · 
 · 
jonchitect

wONDERk,

"Thanx", ur respontz wuz two infourmativ-but really...if you know something more about the topic than the correct way to spell amateur, then I would love to read it

Aug 22, 05 4:51 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

WonderK was simply promoting excellence.

Aug 22, 05 5:30 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I just get annoyed when people post topics and are in such a hurry to do so they can't even double check the spelling of a simple word. A post is one thing but a whole thread title? Sheesh.

Beyond that, yes, you should print from the 3d program to a .jpg or other image file and then print that from Photoshop. 99% of the time the renderings need corrections before final printing anyway. Also, when saving the image file out of the 3d program, render to the largest possible window size so you've got a high resolution to work with in Photoshop.

Aug 22, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
jonchitect

I don't see a "select sub-object", is it under the selection modifiers list?

Aug 22, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

get a 3ds max book...

Aug 22, 05 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

jdl....."you're welcome" would be good.

Aug 22, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

"you're welcome"? I'm not sure I follow; but thank you for the instructions

Aug 22, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

These questions are about as basic as they come.
You should really attempt completing, say, I dunno, 2 tutorials before expecting to get results or ask questions?
Obviously, you have some idea about 3D, so it should really be only a few minutes going through a really basica tutorial to get all the answers you need. Surely quicker than this method and saving us all a little time...but

Go to the Modify Panel, select Edit Mesh/Edit Polygon to add a modifier to the stack (and object). From there you can select vertex, face, edge, polygon, etc.
Or
Select object, right click on it, and select Convert To > Edit Mesh/Edit Polygon

Aug 22, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

don't worry, jdl, i still like you.

have you tried studio max's own help function? It's pretty good.

Aug 22, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

thank you everyone...really, you're advice has answered all my 3ds questions in the post. BTW, I have tried 3ds's help function; but to no response ,(don't ask); furthermore all the online resources I encounter seem to deal mostly with animation/gaming than my questions, but none the less a drive out to hennessey and engalls will undoubtedley solve my problems.

Thank you,

jdl

Aug 23, 05 3:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: